Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GDI printers

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

GDI printers

I have two NEC Superscript 6?0 laser printers. They may be old but they have always been fantastic with the best quality printing I have ever seen, although the cartridges are expensive. However, I cracked that by refilling the toner myself - it is so easy, there is push cap which you take off and pour in the toner; that is it.

However, being forced to upgrade from Windows 98 to XP, I decided to go and buy an HP 1100. It works if you are kind to it. Print quality is average. Print volume is half the NEC volume. Paper feeding can be a nightmare, because some types of paper it likes and other types it does not, and then feeds three pieces of paper through at once. I know this is an HP foible and I have read more articles about it than are contained in the famous 45 minute dossier !

So ideally, I would like to go back to my old, reliable NECs. In fact, double ideally, I would prefer to stay with Windows 98 where I feel in control. With XP, I have heard so many horror stories and I am not sure what advantage there will actually be. The major disadvantage will be that I cannot use my old laser printers, because they are GDI based and Windows XP does not support GDI.

Does anyone know of any work around for this ? I believe that the Miniolta1100 L driver will work with XP and the NEC 660 Plus, but not with the basic versions which I have which are the 660 and the 610.

I would appreciate any ideas.
5 REPLIES
N/A

GDI printers

check driverguide for uptodate drivers? and if the worst comes to the worst emulate win98 within XP to use the printer Smiley
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

GDI printers

I have searched the web for driver updates and there is nothing. NEC decided not to continue to support these printers with XP, so there is nothing that I can find.

Yoy suggest emulating 98 with XP. Not being familiar with XP yet, is that going to be easy to do ?
Community Veteran

GDI printers

Emulating only works with aplications, not drivers. You can't make your whole system act like Win98 so will pot help your situation.

See the Windows compatibility wizzard for details or select properties for an application and click the compatibility tab.
N/A

GDI printers

Re: will pot help your situation.

Don't think that resorting to illicit substances will improve matters, Peter :lol:
N/A

GDI printers

i ment emulate the entire 98 os wihthin XP using VirtualPC or VMWare not the "compatiability" tabsSmiley