cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrating Upgrade

absnapper
Dabbler

Frustrating Upgrade

Hi I'm new to this forum but have an upgrade problem I hope someone can help with.

I currently run a Gigabyte K7 GA-7ZXE motherboard with Duron 1.2GHz cpu with 384Mb of pc100MHz SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 AGP 4X Graphics card with Asus 36X CDROM and 20Gb Seagate 100ATA HDD with WIN 98SE os.

I tried an upgrade to Gigabyte GA-7VA mobo with Athlon 2.4GHz cpu, 256Mb of DDR2700 RAM with WIN 98SE os and everything else as above.

During boot-up the system can crash (Blue screen of death). If it does run after a few minutes programs perform "illegal commands" and "will close down". Exporer performs illegal commands (White rectangular box then crash).

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas how to get system to stabilise? I have tried reinstalling the os on another smaller drive I have and often the system crashes on installation (when it finds hardware and tries to install the drivers usually. However when I revert to the old motherboard, ram and cpu, system becomes stable again. Anyone out there with any ideas, PLEASEHuh :x
elsnapper
26 REPLIES
N/A

Frustrating Upgrade

illegal commands ! could mean your new motherboard has found something
it doesn't recognise eg, hard drive, CPU, RAM.
You could try updating the bios to the latest version and see if this makes any difference.
absnapper
Dabbler

Frustrating Upgrade

Thanks aleca - latest BIOS already installed.
N/A

Frustrating Upgrade

VIA driver update 4.45 aswell ?
absnapper
Dabbler

Frustrating Upgrade

Hi aleca - No, version I have is 4.38. Will try 4.45, thanks. maybe a day or 2 before I have time. Will let you know how I get on, thanks.
N/A

Frustrating Upgrade

Apparently 4.49 is latest (Hyperion 4 in 1 service pack) so best try that
one, also W98 service pack resolves some issues, good luck.
trexalan
Grafter

Frustrating Upgrade

If you dont have any luck with that try asking in these forums.

http://www.amdforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=14486ab96c09b4cf71424b3f80e96279&forumid=11

http://forums.viaarena.com/categories.cfm?catid=23&forumid=1

Always first port of call for me.
absnapper
Dabbler

Frustrating Upgrade

This is the 3rd time I've tried to thank you for your help, thinking my system was running sweetly, but no. I updated mobo drivers and set RAM speed manually in the BIOS and after 30 minutes running the screen froze. On rebooting it ran fo only 3 -4 minutes until I opened IE and connected using USB ADSL modem then it powered down and rebooted itself (running scandisk on restart). Immediately I opened IE it rebooted itself again. A couple of minutes ago IE closed with message "Reporting Error" to Microsoft. This time though it let me reopen IE and continue at least long enough for me to write this message. HELP!!
N/A

Frustrating Upgrade

Am I correct in thinking you just kept the old system on the drive and put it in the new one? If so that would be the problem the system would be diffrent enough to cause problems.

If you havent all ready format the drive and start from scatch with the new board, or if you have partion magic shrink the partition and move it to the back of the disk and create a new partion to install on the new pc, this way you have your old partion to revert back to.
N/A

Frustrating Upgrade

Yes a clean install is required, new motherboard + processor =
'new computer' to Windows.
If your no longer getting the 'illegal' messages,you may have resolved the
driver problem and if your saying the system is just cutting out it could
be power supply related.Your faster components are drawing more current.
If you already have a good quality power supply then this wont apply,
but you could try running the new processor at a much slower speed,
by changing the multiplier or lowering FSB in the BIOS and see if
that makes things more stable then slowly bring things back to normal
until you get problems. Also you might try higher latency settings
with the RAM eg. if your using 2-2-2-6 then use 2.5-3-3-7 to begin with.
There is a free program MBM.5 and you can use this to monitor a few things
like temp and voltage with the CPU and it might be worth checking to
see if your getting any large dips in voltage just before a crash or
any overheating with the CPU.
absnapper
Dabbler

Frustrating Upgrade

Hi thanks again for responses. A clean install was performed on a 2nd drive which I ran to see if it made a difference - alas, no. The system played up in just the same way.

I have tried setting the RAM speed to auto again in the BIOS and that made things a lot worse. PSU is 300 Watts so have tried disconnecting CD Rom and Rewriter and leaving just HDD, but that didn't help.

My local shop thought that the CD Rom was the problem but leaving that disconnected didn't help.

The fact that things improve when I alter RAM speed leads me to believe the problem lies here somewhere - RAM or CPU clock speeds - the symptoms seem to be in keeping with this type of problem.

aleca, you wrote of RAM latency, can you enlighten me further please? Wher do I control these settings from and what are they?

Once again thanks for all your help and suggestions.
N/A

Frustrating Upgrade

Having just read this, I noticed your motherboard model.

Just under a year back, my father had allmost exectly the same roubles as yourself, though they varied through each step.

At first, the CPU had burnt out, and the company involved decided to play "make him wait". Eventualy they sent the mobo, CPU and heatsink back (due to the warrantee stickers) with a bust keyboard socket.

So they simply sent a new mobo and a letter authorising him to kill the stickers and retain the warrantee.

This solved the prolems for all of 0 mins.

The mobo refused to run the RAM at 100mhz, which in turn meant the system was lagging in general.

USB errors where a major problem, causing Windows 98se to error out with a GPF before it had even got into windows.

Having looked at it, I found the problem to be the RAM. Generic brand RAM (even if it says it is branded) is simply crap.

Many smaller PC shops and computer fairs, even worse, PC World sell it, at what looks to be cheap rates, for which you think your are getting a bargain. You certainly are, your bin will be much impressed with a new adition.

My recomendation in your case, is to purchased new RAM from the dabs.com crucial selector (it must be dabs).

If you purchase through dabs, you should be able to return the memory on various grounds, unlike direct purchase from crucial.
N/A

Frustrating Upgrade

I don't know your motherboard but RAM latency would usually be found
under Advanced settings in Chip configuration, look for CAS latency,
RAS to CAS delay, RAS precharge, Active precharge delay (or similar).
If they are set to Auto set to Manual or User defined and up all
the existing values to the next HIGHEST figure and see if that makes any
difference, you can then work back individually. Changing the latency wont
have a huge impact on performance, but if the RAM is defective there is'nt much you can do but replace it .
N/A

Frustrating Upgrade

those kind of errors happens either :

1 - Ram settings

2 - Cpu heats up too much

3 - C.p.u voltage is low

4 - 1 or many parts r faulty.

forgive me if u have tried but if u havent post ur ram timings/settings , ur temperatures and core voltage and we ll take it from there.
absnapper
Dabbler

Frustrating Upgrade

Thanks for all your help and suggestions over the past few days.
I checked settings, temps, etc. and spoke to It chaps at work who gave me a check disk for hardwear which showed cpu, motherboard, Ram, Graphics card and on-board memory all to be functioning correctly.

Have come to the conclusion that "probably" WIN 98 SE is not compatible with cpu/mobo speeds and an upgrade to Win XP is probably called for.

Any Comments?

Thanks again for ypour help so far.