cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh Install of XP home on new drive

Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

I just installed XP home on a new 80Gb H/D, alongside my old master drive - which also has XP on it. When I boot up, it asks me which version of XP I want to run. I've tried both versions on both drives and they both load, and work, fine. The new one is much faster and is the one I want to keep.

When I remove my original drive, leaving only the new one, it won't boot. I get a message saying "NTLDR missing", along with a list of PCI devices and a request to Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot.

Questions:

1. Obvious, but hey! Why won't the new drive boot on it's own?
2. Are there any other things that I need to install on the new drive as well as XP? Drivers etc...? Where would i get drivers from if needed?
3. I used an OEM, Mesh recovery disc, and not an actual copy of XP. Obviously, it has installed on the new drive, but should it?
4. AM I MISSING SOMETHING OBVIOUS?

The old 80Gig is driving me nuts. I re-installed from the disc and it didn't get rid of all my old files as I thought it would. It has my new install, along with lots of folders from my original install (my docs, and all my old log on/User folders) and looks a MESS.

Any help would be appreciated.

heers
Dave...happy with the service...so far.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The master boot record which tells the system how to boot up is on the original drive.
Once you remove this from the system you will not be able to boot any operating system.

OK so I know your problem, I just do not have a solution.

Chilly
N/A

You could try booting from a win98 disk and type fdisk /mbr to setup the Master boot record.

What you realy need to do is to use ghost or acronis and copy the old disk to the new one. Your system will then boot from the new drive with all your files intact.

For a FREE diskclone try
http://www.miray.de/download/sat.hdclone.html

or

http://www.pcinspector.de/download.htm#clone_maxx

As you only want to do it once these should do you
danep
Grafter

Hi,

If using fixmbr doesnt work....

Best bet is to remove the old drive. Then use the mesh recovery disc to install onto new drive. If it's just a ghost of the partition then it will only take a few minutes. If your original hard drive is smaller than your new then you will end up with not of all of your hard drive space being used. So to use the extra space when XP boots up go to the disc management and create a partition in the unused space. Then format that space. Obviously make sure you back up any data before doing any of this. Piss poor when companies provide a ghost back up disc and not the real OS.
N/A

Have a look here:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm
they have plenty of suggestions.

Good luck.
N/A

Hi,

If using fixmbr doesnt work....

Best bet is to remove the old drive. Then use the mesh recovery disc to install onto new drive. If it's just a ghost of the partition then it will only take a few minutes. If your original hard drive is smaller than your new then you will end up with not of all of your hard drive space being used. So to use the extra space when XP boots up go to the disc management and create a partition in the unused space. Then format that space. Obviously make sure you back up any data before doing any of this. <a href="http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/faq.php#1">[censored]</a> poor when companies provide a ghost back up disc and not the real OS.

I didn't know XP would allow you to create an extended partition from within Disk management? I thought you could only do this on a fresh install :?
N/A

Just for the record you should have made the new drive master and the old one slave and then installed the new OS. You would not then have had all this trouble