cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced To Re-activate XP

Fixes: 132

Forced To Re-activate XP

WHile I was watching A DVD in WMP 11 it crashed causing Explorer to crash, too.

I then couldn't open the DVD drive to examine the DVD!

I rebooted the PC and still wasn't able to open the door and noticed that the DVD +-WR drive icon was missing from My Computer. At this stage I was asked to re-activate XP (SP2) as a major hardware change had been detected.

Automatic activation failed!

As I touched the cables (the side is opned for circulation)I heard a crackle and it appeared there was a possible loose connection. At the same time one of my HDD icons also dissapeared.

I powered down, checked all cabes, rebooted and all drives appeared but activation was still requested and refused due to too many activations. I have only activated twice: after the initial installation and after my system HDD failed and I had to install on another drive. I ended up using the automated telephone option.

My question is this; Does anyone understand why I should have had to re-activate?

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Forced To Re-activate XP

I believe that XP has a hardware checker built in so that if you change certain pieces of hardware it needs to be reactivated (stops people activating XP on one machine then cloning the drive) so has probably seen the drive problem as a hardware change.

Don't have these problems on a Mac Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Forced To Re-activate XP

The only time I had to go through a manual reactivation was when I added a new Audigy sound card which not only put a new sound card into the picture but also a new Firewire network connection which took it over the allowed change points. Apparently the network connection has as many points as a motherboard
Could it be that the problems you had caused a network connection to go and reappear.
Fixes: 132

Forced To Re-activate XP

It's strange as recently I have been swapping hard discs around aplenty due to some issues. I've gone from having 5 to 3 then 4 then five again from a total of 7 available while I ascertained which ones were failing.

No sign on any re-activation requirements during that time.

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

Forced To Re-activate XP

Adding to your configuration wont need a activation so adding more drives shouldn't effect it its if you change something ie take out a sound card and put a new one in.

Silly question but you do have a backup dont you? You can get rockxp for free from

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/rockxp.html

This lets you backup your activation so you can restore it