cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floppy Drive Problems

Fixes: 132

Floppy Drive Problems

Hi

Back in the summer when I upgraded my PC with two new hard drives I decided to disconnect the floppy drive completely. The power supply from the floppy then was used to power the 'break-out' box for the Audigy card.

I now need to re-install XP and require the floppy for certain hardware drivers during installation but cannot get the floppy drive to work. Initially I connected the data cable the wrong way and the light went on continuously but the drive was not shoing in My Computer. Now, with the cable the correct way round still the floppy drive is not showing.

I have checked that the FDD is Enabled in BIOS and a floppy driver seems to installed as in Device Manager.

Two questions:

What have I missed?

or

How can I make a bootable CD adding the drivers to it so that when I press F6 at the start of XP installation the Bootable CD can be used rather than a floppy?

Cheers

P.S. I did read the earlier posts regarding making Bootable CDs but these all assume that you have floppy drive first.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

2 REPLIES
N/A

Floppy Drive Problems

its called slipstreaming ..

http://maximumpc.com/2005/01/how_to_slipstre.html

will show you how.
Fixes: 132

Floppy Drive Problems

Thanks for the link.

Never done anything like this before but it seems straight forward once you have read it through.

My copy of XP already includes SP2 so that's one step less.

All I need to do is add the drivers for my Silicon Image PCI IDE card as detailed and that's it - right?

So, instead of pressing F6 at the start of installation and waiting for the prompt to insert the floppy, all drivers for the PCI card will automatically be loaded without intervention?

I'll read through it all again later and give it a go.

Thanks

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still