cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flipping network - any idea's?

N/A

Right, I've decided that since it's the start of the new year, I will start as I mean to go on and get my network setup properly. I still can't seem to get to grips with how it should all be configured, so if anybody could help I would really appreciate it.
The network is physically arranged as follows.

But I can't seem to get the IP addressing and NAT sorted properly....

The BT Voyager wants to handle DHCP requests, and also handle internal port forwarding (by means of DMZ and virtual servers), However I would prefer to just use it as a modem and use the DI - 624 as the DHCP server and setup internal port forwarding on it. When I have posted these problems as seperate posts on here in the past, people have suggested that I put the DI-624 in the DMZ of the voyager, and then handle all port forwarding on it, which I am sure will work fine (it sounds logical to me!) however I am unsure of the IP addressing which would be required to enable this to work... Should I use the modem or the router as DHCP server? At the moment the addressing is setup as follows

Modem - 192.168.1.1

Router 192.168.0.1

SME server - 192.168.0.222 (static)

All other devices obtain dynamic addresses from the router, in the range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.200

Also, what sort of connection should I tell the router to use?

Thanks in advance Cheesy
5 REPLIES
N/A

going out on a limb here but with that router i think you got more chance of a geeting preggers than telling your router to stop routing i had the same prob with my network i am now implimenting a ipcop router(computer running linux) with a ethernet modem seems to be the only way of shaping traffic and keeping the network under manners whilst keeping a great firewall based on ip tables do a search for ipcop on google if you like the idea pm and i send you the software.
N/A

Thanks, but I don't want the router to stop routing! I want the modem to stop routing, and to use the router as a router.
N/A

First off you cant port forward to a dynamic ip as it may be a different pc each time and most routers wont work that way. Turn off DHCP and give all the pc a static ip and then you can forward the port ok. The pc's should all be in the same range as the router and have the router ip as their default gateway.

It should then all work ok
N/A

I am only port forwarding to the server, which has a static address

Do I have a DMZ setup on the modem, with the router in it?
N/A

Yes you need to forward everything to the router by setting it in the dmz zone