cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing RAID

N/A

Fixing RAID

I have a two-disk SATA RAID 1 setup (mirror). One of the disks is now showing as 'dropped' and the RAID BIOS gives the array a 'CRITICAL' status, which I assume is not a good thing. The RAID manual is useless, so I can't really see what I'm supposed to do next.

I had assumed that the RAID would try to rebuild itself if it detected an error, but rebuild status is reported as 0% and doesn't change. What am I supposed to do at this point? Back-up the RAID, wipe it and reset it up*? Or is there a short cut to bring the dropped disk back online?
BTW, the dropped disk is passing all the SMART tests so there's nothing wrong with it, AFAICT.

* Aren't RAID setups supposed to be hot-swappable?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Fixing RAID

<Anyone?>
N/A

Fixing RAID

Its hard to say without knowing the exact raid. But its saying it cant rebuild the raid as one disk has died it should show you which one. You need to replace the disk and then it should give you the option to rebuild the raid and it should then all work fine.
I never recomend raid for home use its very confusiong the best way is to do disk images using Acronis that way if a disk dies you have the second one without having to buy a new disk before you can get it going. People forget that the more disk you have the more chance there is of a failure.
N/A

Fixing RAID

People forget that the more disk you have the more chance there is of a failure.

Sure, but whilst in a Raid mirror your risk of failure in any given hour has doubled from, say, 1 in a billion to 2 in a billion, your probability of retaining a working copy has increased from 0% to 100%.

In any case, I resolved the problem, but I don't know how. The Raid rebuilt itself eventually. Smiley
N/A

Fixing RAID

Dont forget if disk one gets corrupt so does disk 2 as its copy
N/A

Fixing RAID

Is that right? Doesn't the RAID controller exist precisely to stop that sort of thing?
N/A

Break the mirros

You should have an option to break the mirror so they are 2 seperate drives again. Then replace the faulty drive and rebuild the mirror.

Should work