cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall in Router/Modem; is that enough

N/A

I have a firewall in my Router/Modem but was advised to have a software firewall active also. I would be interested to hear opinions on this subject. I am using F-Secure myself along with the one in the Router. Is this belt and braces approach wise or not?
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Normally the router firewall will only deal with incoming traffic.
If some nasty has managed to get on your machine then that firewall will not stop the nasty from "Calling home" and sending information it has harvested from you machine.

Install something like Zone Alarm (free) which also see's outgoing traffic and will alert you if anything tries to access the internet.
You then get the option of allowing it banning it on that occasion or always.
These options can be easily changed later if you decide you want a previously banned program to now have access or vic-versa
Community Veteran

I would have said pretty much what John has. You should have 2 lines of defense i.e. run a software firewall and hardware firewall as that will protect outgoing connection attemps (software firewall) as well and incoming connection attempts (hardware & software firewall).

In most hardware firewalls, you can block outgoing ports but with so many viruses and other 'phone home' apps they will use all manner of ports (even port 80 which clearly you can't block) so it's impossible to block all possible ports that coul dbe used, whereas a software firewall can allow you to block programs from gaining access to the internet.
N/A

The other thing to add is something like spybot. It will kill a lot of the web based attacks e.g. add trackers and other spyware + keep your OS up to date