cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Sharing - Newbie Question

N/A

Hi all!

I have 2 PC's - my main desktop and my laptop sharing an internet connect through the Netgear dg834g. I can view files from my laptop on my main PC? Both PC's appear to be talking to each other as I have tried pinging them both.

Thanks in advance.

PS operating system in XP Pro
9 REPLIES
zpeterk
Grafter

You need to share the directories you what to see (right hand click in explorer)and in network settings file and print sharing enabled

You also need to be in the same workgroup and have same users and passwords on both machines
N/A

You have set a work group first. Go to control panel -> system -> computer name -> Change( the bottom one) then select work group and put an name there e.g fred. Put the same name in both pc's. The right click on the folder that you want to share and select shareing share this folder as then put a name just use the folder name. Change the permsion to everyone full control
N/A

Thanks guys.

I've given them both the same name and shared the directory I'm trying to share but still can't see it from my Lappy.

Sorry to be such a pain.
Community Veteran

Are you running any software firewalls. If so, you may need to put the PCs IP addresses in the ttrusted zone or allow full access.

Disable any firewall and see if you can see the directories. If so you know the firewall is causing this.

Are you running SP2, if so also try disabling the windows firewall.
N/A

Hi Again,

Named both groups the same - the default of MShome and added IP addresses to Internet Security. When I click on MShome on my laptop I get:
'MSHOME not accessible error '. Any thoughts?

CHeers
N/A

Have you got accounts with the same user name and password on both pc's
N/A

computers need to have diff names
computers need to be in the same workgroup
computers need to be in the same subnet (to make it easy)
computers need the same type of ip, ie 192.168.1.x (to make it easy)
make sure "use simple file sharing" is off (under tools -> folder options -> view -> at the bottom)

now, say you are on 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.1 being your gateway) and your 2nd pc is 192.168.1.3 then you would do

\\192.168.1.3\c$

in the run bar to access the C: drive (note this is the admin share so when promted with the "please log in" use ur admin account to enable you to do what you want. Change the X$ for any dirve you wish to access.

\\NAME\c$ will also work, where NAME is the computer name as you have defined it.

to see if they are set up correctly:

start -> run -> type cmd -> type net view and you should get an output somthing like:

Server Name Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\Computer1
\\Computer2
The command completed successfully.

if not do

" ipconfig /all "into the cmd window and make sure the IPs/ Subnet/ workgroup are correct

Sample output

C:\Documents and Settings\Buzzons>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : beast
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connect
ion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-6E-A9-9C-9A
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.12.49

Hope that helps

Buz

PS if you are transfering large files I personaly recomend using FTP within your network as it is:
a) faster
b) supports resume
c) if one file fails to transfer it does not kill the entire copy process , it just does not send that single file
N/A

if you have installed SP2 then the windows firewall will stop you file sharing.

You will need to either set file sharing as an exception or disable the windows firewall.
N/A

Thanks for all your help guys. Don't know what I did but it seems to be working now!

Cheers!