cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Copying between hard drives

N/A

I have installed a new hard drive and the Windows XP operating system on it. All is fine except:
I have put the old disk back as Drive D: but when I try to copy files from it to the new C: drive it says "access denied"

I have tried fiddling with all sorts of file attributes etc but cannot get the files to copy from the D drive to the C drive.

any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Last time I had that prob, I took ownership of the folders on my old slaved drive!
If you are running XP, first make sure you are running as "Admin" and not on a user account.
Then you can goto Control panel>Folder Options. There click on the "view" tab. Scroll to the bottom and uncheck "Use simple file sharing" Click "OK". (This allows a new "security" tab to display when getting a folders properties whilst logged as Admin )

Now goto your old drive and any folders you want, you can right click and hit "properties". Click "security" tab, then "Advanced" button. Here you can take ownership of the folder and all its sub dir's and content. Click on the "Owner" tab, place a tick in the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", then enter the account name that you would like to give control of the said files to.

Thats how I did it anyhow. Dunno if there is a simpler or better way.

Hope you get sorted! Wink
N/A

seventhstar!
What a ***** performance. I tried it and it worked I am now printing your reply and keeping it as at my age I wont remember it all.
Thanks very much i appreciate your reply as you will imagine it has been very helpful
Peter
Community Veteran

Hey Peter no probs, glad it helped you out! Smiley Wink
N/A

Yup - that'll do it. Bear in mind that taking ownership of files in more complex environments can really mess things up though!