Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fax software

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fax software

My ten year old fax machine has finally sent its last fax !

I hardly ever send faxes and if I do I use my pc. I also use fax2mail for receiving faxes.

However, my fax software is also as old as the fax machine itself - Bitware. The fax quality from the software is not as good as from the old fax machine, and I was wondering whether more up to date fax software gives a better quality image, or whether the technology itself limits the quality of the image.

The old adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" may well apply. The old Bitware software is perfectly functional and I am familiar with it. I am not prepared to spend money on replacing the old fax machine, but thought about changing the pc software.

Can anyone advise whether changing the software will make any difference and if so, recommend something suitable - preferably freeware of course ?
:roll: !
9 REPLIES
N/A

Fax software

Symantec winfax pro, not freeware( apparently), not cheap, but very good.
N/A

Fax software

Remember that the fax standard limits the resolution you can use.
So, a more up to date software will still be limited to the relatively low 203 by 98 DPI of standard fax or 200 by 196 DPI of the hi-fax standard. Most fax machines do not support hi-fax.
N/A

Fax software

If you have Windows XP it has fax built into it which I use when I send faxes. I have never had any problems.
shermans
Rising Star

Fax software

That's interesting. But I use W98 still and can find no justification as yet to upgrade. It is the same adage as before - it ain't broke etc....

However, when my old laptop does finally join the old fax machine, then I suppose I will have to change.

Thanks for the info.

Shockedops:
N/A

Fax software

Do you have a copy of MS Office and if so which version?
shermans
Rising Star

Fax software

Yes. Despite using W98, I do have a licenced copy of Office 2000. Is there a fax facility with it ?
N/A

Fax software

Yes built into MS Outlook there is a copy of Symantec WinFaxPro. I used to use it alot then when I upgraded to Windows XP I started using this and then when I upgraded Office it never used to be there.

If you go into options and then fax I think you can set it up from there. With regards to sending faxes I think you start an e-mail but enter this (see below rather than an e-mail address)
fax@fax number here

You will need to visit the help menu in Outlook to double check this because it has been a while since I used it.
shermans
Rising Star

Fax software

Thanks, I will try.
N/A

Fax software

If you need a hand give me a shout.