cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest cpu for socket A

N/A

Fastest cpu for socket A

Hi I would like to upgrade my computer to its highest abillity I have done this except for my cpu. I currently have an athlon xp 3000+ when loking for better ones there is not a big enough leap to be bothered about.

I once found an athlon xp 3400 which was a big enough increase but I can not find it anywhere...Anyway is this the fastest socket A cpu and if so is it worth hunting it down? many thanks Cheesy
11 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Fastest cpu for socket A

I doubt you would notice much difference in practice between a 3000 and a 3400. PC speed is also limited by memory speed and quantity, bus speed, hard drive speed, graphics card speed, how Windows is set up, and so on.

Best ask yourself if you really need it to work faster - most applications simply don't need vast processor power. If you do need extra speed then try more cost effective upgrades like adding memory or cleaning up Windows. Simply running a registry checker, for instance, can sometimes make a big difference.
N/A

Fastest cpu for socket A

My cpu runs at 2.16GHz the 3400 runs at 2.66GHz not loads but i play alot of games. I get odd lag on some games (singleplayer as well as multiplayer) which does not make sence because I have got a geforce 6800 ultra 256MB and 1.5 gig of memory...and i recently formatted my comp.

from what little I have seen they dont cost oto much plus I have a second comp which only has an athlon xp 2000 in it so i would still put the 3000 to good use. Thanks for the reply Cheesy
sloany
Grafter

Fastest cpu for socket A

I believe AMD have now stopped production of the Athlon processor in favour of the socket A Sempron processor. the fastest i can find of these is a 3000+. the main difference being the level 1 cache on a Sempron is 128k compared to the Athlon 64k level 1. Although depending how old your motherboard is you may need to flash your Bios to get support for the Sempron processor. The fastest Athlon I have seen is a 3200.
The only 3400+ i can find is for socket 754 (64 bit)
N/A

Fastest cpu for socket A

Ohh ok thanks for the help, will check that out later cheers Cheesy
holdtight
Grafter

Fastest cpu for socket A

Stick with what you have for now you wont notice any difference apart from the cash missing from your wallet

If you play a lot of games you would be better off upgrading memory and graphics depending a lot on what your already running

The only upgrade you should be thinking of doing would be to go from the socket A which as dcstechnologies points out has been discontinued to the 64 bit level when the time is right for you and when you do go for the socket 939
sloany
Grafter

Fastest cpu for socket A

I took the plunge and went to 64bit a few months ago. Due mainly to lack of drivers and no support for virtual drives. I am running 32bit WinXP on a 64bit processor, although when the time is right i will go to winx64 as i already have a copy through the microsoft upgrade programme.
but, for now i agree with holdtight pointless at the moment.
N/A

Fastest cpu for socket A

thanks again for the replies.

my graphics card is an agp I notice agp motherboards are starting to run thin problem is i have no cash at moment to get a new motherboard and cpu by the time i have the cash agp will be hard to find.

I will just wait it out and build a third computer I think....its just i get strange lag on battlefield 2 when i first started playing it i never suffered lag but now it can get really bad, when i do speed checks through out the day i usually get 1.89Mb.

ohhh well thanks again Cheesy
sloany
Grafter

Fastest cpu for socket A

Lag can be caused by alot of things, internet latency problems, occassional packet loss, BT exchange problems, server host problems. to name a few. I wouldnt condemn your current setup its more than adequate. Reading other threads in this forum, i would probably say its a BT routing problem, as they are apparently having exchange problems since everyone went on 2mb.
I play call of duty UO and am admin on our server. we can get a little lag every now and then but nothing too serious.
When you are having problems with lag, if you have a router, try pinging your server from the router, if you have a high ping from the router to the server this will indicate its an internet problem not your PC.
N/A

Fastest cpu for socket A

ok cool

Most of my lag on Battlefield 2 happens when I try to look at a flag as long as I look away from it im fine but as soon as I look at it it goes nuts.this is even when theres no other players around and not many buildings either.Drives me crazy when I try to shoot someone and they run past a flag.Anyways I will persist for now.

thanks for all the help everyone most appreciated Cheesy
sloany
Grafter

Fastest cpu for socket A

Weird, i take it ur graphics drivers are up to date. You could try reinstalling the game, to see if its a corrupt file causing the problems. I would be inclined to say your problem is more software than lag. If you only gettin gthe lag when you look at the flag.
N/A

Fastest cpu for socket A

I recently formatted my comp it was a couple of weeks after that that I really noticed it.......everything is up to date I even went back a few drivers to see if that was it.

Although it might not fix it, it might help dont know why I did not think of that many thanks again Cheesy

just tried it did not work same as normal