cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External hard drive

Bizlat
Grafter

External hard drive

Any recommendations on up to 300GB Usb 2.0 ext hard drives?
Thanks
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

External hard drive

Someone asked the same question a few weeks back, a search of the forums should reveal that thread.

Chilly
PS http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51025
Njal
Grafter

External hard drive

Morgan Computers have a few:

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk

I got a couple of 320GB Toshiba drives for work a few days ago for £ 70 each. They don't appear to have any of those in stock at the moment, but they might reappear in a few days.

Regards,

Neil
N/A

External hard drive

PC World had some TV ads not long ago, for 320 GB costing 79.99. Looks like they have gone back up (129.99) now, but they have a web deal on the Western Digital WDG1UB3200E (item 437201 ) at 94.99 +4.99

I don't have one of those - I bought a USB 2/Firewire case for about 15 quid (it's big enough to put a 5.25" CD drive or 3.5" HD in (*)) so I can plug it into my XP PC (USB) or Apple iMac (Firewire), and am using some 10, 20, 40 and an 80 GB HD for the moment as it was a cheap option (with already having some drives here) for now. When I get chance to buy a big storage box, I'll clear these smaller drives and re-use them to be able to take software/films/music with me when visiting friends.

I had seen (on Ebay) some new 320 GB network storage boxes at about 115 inc delivery. Based on the Sumovision "SV 8989" unit (50 quid inc VAT) to plug into a LAN as a file store.

It's more flexible than just USB in case one wants to offer access from a router, and thus allow internet access to the box. A friend found a Freecom 250 GB ethernet unit for about 100 quid.

Sorry if those options have no appeal - just to give a few other ideas for anyone else looking in later...

(*) The fan on mine is quite noisy, and because it's a 3.5" drive in a big box, I sometimes disconnect the fan - I don't have the central heating on yet, so the drive doesn't seem to get hot anyway! That Freecom unit had no fan and was quite a small box. I'll have to pop around and see whether it gets warm to the touch! (He hadn't plugged it in last time I was round - had 2 or 3 PCs to move into another room, so it was low priority)