cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External drive

morgan2476
Grafter

External drive

I have just bought an external usb hard drive caddy. The hard ware is detected and the computer tells me that everything is installed, but i cannot see the drive in my computer, anyone got any solutions? Thanks
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

External drive

sorry if this sounds patronising - it's not meant to be but from your post it sounds as if you may have just plugged the caddy into your PC without putting a drive in the caddy first?
N/A

External drive

lol @ above post

Follow these steps:

1. Right-click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop.
2. Left-click "Manage" in the menu.
3. Left-click "Disk Management" in the left panel menu.
4. Hopefully a wizard will popup.

If the wizard doesnt popup or you dont understand what to do, see this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000
morgan2476
Grafter

External drive

I have tried the disk manager there is efinately a drive in the caddy it is whirling round, the computer recognises that there is an external storage device, but it is not viewed in my computer
N/A

External drive

Is it recognised in Disk Manager or not?
holdtight
Grafter

External drive

As above also was it a drive that was known to be fully working that you put into the caddy as this can happen if the drive is faulty
N/A

External drive

Relating to his last thread:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49922

I am thinking its a new drive and simply needs to be initialized via the Disk Manager.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

External drive

I agree with that - last time I put in an unformatted sata drive (also classed as removeable) I had exactly that problem and had to format it as phearfactor suggests before windows would recognise it
Njal
Grafter

External drive

Sometimes the drive letter allocated by Windows to the new drive is the same as one allocated to (for example) a CD drive. This obviously leads to conflicts and the disk wont work.

Open Disk Manager as Phearfactor suggests above and check that the drive has not been allocated a letter that your CD drives are using. If it has the letter can be changed in Disk Manager.

Regards,

Neil
morgan2476
Grafter

External drive

The drive has been formated - disc manager does not recognise it at all - device manager recognises it what settings should the hd be ie slave or master?
morgan2476
Grafter

External drive

hi folks disc manager now detects it and there is sometimes an icon in my computer but when i click on it my computer stops responding
N/A

External drive

I would suggest you use Disk Manager to re-format and reset a drive letter. If you can get the wizard to load up it will do it all for you.
morgan2476
Grafter

External drive

every time i try and format the drive when the format is about complete i get the message that the format could not be completed.
N/A

External drive

Have you tried both, Quick Format and Full Format?
Njal
Grafter

External drive

What sort of disk is it? Your problem does not appear to be unique. Searching Google groups for "disk format not completed" throws up quite a few threads.

Try FAT32 or NTFS formats?

Regards,

Neil