cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Hardrive

psk10
Grafter

External Hardrive

Hi i wonder if anyone can help i have a 160 GB hardrive which i use on my Laptop which has XP installed iv been using it for about 18 months with no problems ,recently my computer did not show the hardrive in My computer it made the sound on being switched on but that was all .I uninstalled it and re-installed and up-dated the driver still nothing ,it,s coming up with a message that on installing an error occured and it may not work properly .going in to Diskmanager it is there but i cant get it to work ,when i gone to troublshooter it comes back with error code 10 ,i d reboot my PC but i need to get the Hardrive working to backup my files ,any ideas ? Pete.
3 REPLIES
Njal
Grafter

External Hardrive

Have you checked the drive letter in Disk Management? Is it as expected? I've had occassions when a drive letter on an external drive has been assigned the same letter as, for example, a CD drive. This can cause problems.

If this is your problem you can change the drive letter in Disk Management by right clicking on the disk and using "Change drive letter and paths....".

Regards
Neil
Njal
Grafter

External Hardrive

Another thought. If it's USB try a different cable and try different USB ports on the computer. It shouldn't make a difference, but.............

Regards
Neil
psk10
Grafter

External Hardrive

Hi , iv checked both suggestions but still have problems ,il get the external hardrive checked on another pc if it proves to be faulty il replace it so i can back up my pc ,and reboot it ,iv also found that itune is frozen tried un-installing it and re-installing it ,it,s not a virus ,or any other type of spyware or rootkit done loads of scans and it,s not fetching anything up ,once it,s rebooted it should solve the problems .