cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export FireFox Settings

N/A

Export FireFox Settings

Hi All

I (unfortunately) have to run windows on my laptop, so that I can use it on the college network and access certain software etc.

I need to format the HDD of my laptop, and reinstall win XP Pro, but I do not want to lose any of my firefox settings (favourites, saved passwords). Any ideas on how I can go about exporting these so that I can write them to a CD and import them once the reinstall is complete?

Thanks in advance Cheesy

Marc
15 REPLIES
N/A

Export FireFox Settings

And the same goes for my email messages in Thunderbird..

Both FireFox and Thunderbird have 'import' options, but I can't find an 'export' in either of them
Sad
Community Veteran

Export FireFox Settings

I belive there is a folder for each that contains precisely what you need, Leave it with me and i'll have a dig round for it ;-)
N/A

Export FireFox Settings

Thanks Daniel Smiley

I thought there must be, but it has been a couple of years since I last used Windows properly, and I didn't use FF or TB then.
N/A

Export FireFox Settings

Firefox favourites are in C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxx\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Profilename\bookmarks.html

I don't use thunderbird so don't know about that.
N/A

Export FireFox Settings

Thanks Chris Smiley

Any idea about the saved passwords? I really can't afford to lose them (they are more important than the favourites) because I dont have a written record of them anymore...
N/A

Export FireFox Settings

its exactly the same for thunderbird, just change firefox for thunderbird Wink
N/A

Export FireFox Settings

I believe you just back up C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles to keep all settings.
N/A

Export FireFox Settings

Thank you ever so much Cheesy

I couldn't cope with having to contact all of the various companies to request new passwords :shock:
N/A

Export FireFox Settings

Just checked it out - passwords are stored in signons.txt but are encrypted so make sure you keep a back up of key3.db and cert8.db.
Community Veteran

Export FireFox Settings

Going from linux the folders you need are:

For firefox:
yourhomedirectory/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default/

For thunderbird:

yourhomedirectory/.thunderbird/xxxxxxxx.default/

where xxxxxxxx is 8 random letters and numbers.

In windows you then need install firefox and put the firefox profile folder in:

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

Where [User Name] is your username.

You then need to rename xxxxxxxx.default to yyyyyyyy.default where xxxxxxxx.default is the name of your folder from linux and yyyyyyyy.default is the name of the folder in windows put down by the install.

You then need to install thunderbird and put the profile folder in:

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\

Where [User Name] is your username.

Finally, you need to rename xxxxxxxx.default to yyyyyyyy.default where xxxxxxxx.default is the name of your folder from linux and yyyyyyyy.default is the name of the folder in windows put down by the install.

Hope this helps i'm going to do it the opposite way round now!

Just one thing - don't blame me if your passwords aren't kept ;-)
holdtight
Grafter

Export FireFox Settings

Hi Marc
If you open firefox and go to tools / options / privacy then open up saved passwords then click on "view saved passwords" then "show passwords" you can make a note of all your passwords and the sites that they relate to just in case your copy over goes t*ts up
N/A

Export FireFox Settings

Hi Bill

Thank you for that Cheesy

At least I can jot down my server root passwords and online banking etc. the sort of things that would cripple me if I lost them...
Community Veteran

Export FireFox Settings

I copied over the thunderbird stuff to linux and it worked a treat, not done FF yet...
N/A

Export FireFox Settings

I use some one click utilities to do this. The FFox one backups the bookmarks, cookies, passwords etc, and the Tbird one backups all your mailboxes and addresses. The backups can be saved to CDR/DVDR, folder or a zip file.