Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential Apps

jabb0
Grafter

Essential Apps

Hey folks,

Jus after a fresh install of windoze (yet again). my startup time is down to a few seconds again. Smiley

Basically i use windoze for a lil web surfing and mainly jus for running games (gonna find it hard justifying the money to upgrade to vista since i use nix for jus about everything else these days)

Its been a while since i have changed my standard setup of
- zonealarm
- avg antivirus
- spybot
- firefox
- adaware

Are there any new fangled proggies u would recommend to help windoze stand on its own 2 feet? Smiley

I use webmail (ie my mail program/personal organiser is a webpage, not a local application) so u can skip any of those apps Smiley However any suggestions to a replacement app to Horde wud be welcome Wink

Thanks
6 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Essential Apps

You could try giving Bootvis a whirl to try and shave a few seconds off your bootup time when you have several apps starting with windows

Ive used it many times on many systems and sometimes its not made any difference but ive also often seen it shave off between 4 to 7 seconds from a slow booting pc

Bill.
jabb0
Grafter

Essential Apps

thanks for the reply, might not be useful at this moment in time, but definitly noteworthy.

Cool
Midville
Grafter

Essential Apps

I like giving CCleaner a run now and again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Essential Apps

You could try giving Bootvis a whirl to try and shave a few seconds off your bootup time when you have several apps starting with windows

Ive used it many times on many systems and sometimes its not made any difference but ive also often seen it shave off between 4 to 7 seconds from a slow booting pc

Bill.
I haven't managed to get Bootvis to work properly since XP SP2 - any advice would be welcomed
holdtight
Grafter

Essential Apps

I haven't managed to get Bootvis to work properly since XP SP2 - any advice would be welcomed

What sort of problem are you having when trying to use bootvis Jim as i havnt run into any difficulties on any machines that run SP2 yet so it would be interesting to know for future reference

Jason yes ccleaner is one of the best cleaning apps ive used and wouldnt be without it on my machine i would certainly recommend it to everyone

Bill.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Essential Apps

Despite creating a new profile with all graphs ticked I still only get graphs showing for Disk I/O and Disk Utilisation. There is a graph symbol next to Process Creates but the graph itself is blank. None of the other actions have the graph symbol next to them