cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error (Catastrophic Failure)

ukpalanga
Grafter

Hello, my friend has a wee problem with his PC after the re installation of his PC. Now whenever he tries to install some of the games (which he played before the reinstall) he get an error like this:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2851/errortu4.jpg

If anyone knows what this Catastrophic Failure means, please help.

Thank you.

P.S. Please note, that he wasn't getting this Failure thing before and he tried few of those games from different CD's so it cant be the installation fault. Its probably the OS.
6 REPLIES
avalon
Grafter

If it was a full re-install on a reformatted hard drive I'd suggest checking your drivers for things like video cards as a first step. Then MS software patches or upgrades like DirectX.

It's unlikely to be the OS if it was a full reinstall on a wiped disk, more likely some other component or driver that the program requires that is missing.
N/A

Its saying it a copy error so either
the cd is faulty
the cd rom drive is faulty
there is a dma problem with the cdrom drive. try coping the cd to the hd and run it from the hd
The hard drive is faulty run chkdsk c: /f from a cmd prompt.
You are running as admin I take it?
It could be the problem with MS installer
ukpalanga
Grafter

We just reinstalled it again, borrowed another CD/DvD drive and checked all drivers. DirectX is properly installed. Yes, we are running the admin's place on the PC. Still getting an error. Tried to copy the setup to PC and it still gives the same error even when we install it from hard drive. We tried to install Unreal Tournament 2k4 and it gives exactly the same error as L2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 5. Could it be that there is a mistake in the Windows XP installation CD itself? Although we weren't getting any errors while installing Windows.
N/A

did you run chkdsk c: /f

Does normal software install ok ie word etc?
It seems strange that several games have the same problem can you run the setup in compatibility mode? Right click on the setup file and choose properties and set it to win98 in the compatible tab.

It could be some problem with the registry that these games are writing to or directx/video. Can you set your video etc to as low as possible speed and rendering wise.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Couple of suggestions, has your friend downloaded any updates from Windows Update? If it's an old XP CD it might have a lot of updates, in particular I'm thinking about Service Pack 2, but also driver updates.
ukpalanga
Grafter

Solved! I reinstalled the Windows from a different CD and it works fine. Thanks for all you help.