cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epson Printer

N/A

Epson Printer

Don't know if this info is of any use to anyone, but here it is anyway.

I use an Epson Stylus 580 printer. It worked perfectly well until yesterday, when the following error message appeared.

An unknown error has occured, unplug your printer and take it to your nearest authorised Epson service centre

Sounded very serious and as this printer is a few years old, I thought it was hardly worth bothering about and was ready to buy another.

Whilst scrounging around for a decent price on Google, I came accross a site that explained the problem with Epson printers. Apparently they only go for so long before the waste ink pads fill up. When this happens, they just stop working. What they then require is that the pads are changed and the internal counter reset.

However if you clean the pad youself, (I used some rolled up tissue and a Q-tip), you can use a little freeware program from

www.ssclg.com

that will reset the counter, (along with some other neat utilities that Epson don't provide, Bless 'em).

anyway, the printer is now working perfectly again and at no cost. So if your Epson printer suddenly stops wanting to print, give it a try. Although I wouldn't recommend this for printers that are still under warranty of course.
5 REPLIES
painswck
Grafter

Epson Printer

Thanks for that Gareth.

I have not had that problem yet, but hopefully now ready for when it does occur.

Roland
N/A

Epson Printer

We have had two replaced for free so far under this condition.

They are not the easiest bunch of fellows to convince, but you should be able to get it done for free under wanrrentee.

Anternatly, get a big printer with a seperate replacable waste tank like the Epson Style 7000 Tongue Now that brings photos alive.
N/A

Epson Printers

Acarr writes,

They are not the easiest bunch of fellows to convince, but you should be able to get it done for free under wanrrentee

As I said, I wouldn't try this with a printer under warranty. As far as the Epson 7000 printer goes, I'm sure it's a fine printer. However I don't use mine all that much and a really good printer, (for that read expensive), wouldn't really be worthwile. Horses for courses and all that. Smiley
N/A

Epson Printer

I knew Epson were "control freaks" on their cartridges, but this sort of "built in redunancy" is a little disconcerting.
N/A

Epson Printer

They are not the easiest bunch of fellows to convince

On the contrary. We had a problem with a printer that we thought was about 16 months old but weren't entirely sure. We phoned Epson thinking that if they quote the serial number they will be able to tell us. Instead they said 'We've just had a computer crash. Is your printer in warranty?' to which we replied 'well I think so'. 'OK', they said 'We'll have a new one to you within 48 hours' Cheesy

Seriously though we have had the same problem with HP800's and 900's too.