cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email query

N/A

Email query

Not sure if this is the correct forum, anyway, I have been playing with OE (I normally use Mozilla). On setting up my PlusNet email address much to my suprise it started downloading mail from the year dot, which had already been read in Mozilla.
So where are these emails kept, and how can I delete them? It strikes me that it must be using up an awfull lot of PlusNet's storage. As I am leaving shortly it would be good to get rid.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Email query

In Mozilla, did you set 'Leave messages on the server'? (under server settings for the pop3 account).

If so then when OE checked to see what emails existed, it downloaded all messages because it had not previously seen any of them, whereas when mozilla checks, it knows what emails had previously been downloaded so only downloads the new ones, not all of them each time it checks.

I suspect now all the messages have been removed from the email sever as the default for OE is to not leave a copy on the server (see the setting on the advanced tab of the accounts settings in OE). If you did tiock the option to leav a copy on the server then they will still be there.

To remove email from your PN mailbox on the server you either untick 'leaving a copy on the server' or delete the messages which should then delete them from the server. Then make sure the settings in mozilla will actualy delete them.

This is one or the problems with using 2 mail clients to access the same PN mailbox. You have to be very careful how both mail clients are configured. I always recommend you don't use 2 different mail clients for a single mailbox.
N/A

Email query

Thanks you Peter, you were quite right. Somehow, of all my email addresses I had ticked the box on that one to keep emails on the server. By the way I do not normally run 2 email clients, it was just that I had a problem and was using OE as a way of diagnosing it.