cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E mail using Outlook 2003 to users on XP

N/A

Hi, Hope someone can help.

I have XP Home Ed. and am using Outlook 2003. My wife and I have our own XP user accounts (Alyson and Richard). I set up our own profiles in these and we both have e mail accounts.
richard@username.plus.com
alyson@username.plus.com

Why is it then that most of the time I get emails addressed to Alysons e mail acct?

I've looked at lots of help and forums but cannot seem to solve. Is it that you just can't have this in Outlook?

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

When you say separate email accounts, are these separe mailboxes created on the portal or are they just separate email accounts within outlook 2003.

Are you retreiving email using the following:
login: username+richard

password: whatever password you assigned when creating the mailbox

and you wife as
login: username+alyson

password: whatever password you assigned when creating the mailbox

Or are you both retrieving email with:
login: username

password: your default password

I.e. just accessing your default mailbox which email for richard and alyson will go into.

Does alyson also get email for you? If so it suggests you are both just retrieving from your default plusnet mailbox rather than your individual mailboxes. If this is the case click on Email settings under My Account, then click on configure mailboxes and create 2 new mailboxs called richard and alyson. Then configure your outlook accounts to use the username+richard or username+alyson methods for collecting email.
N/A

Hi Peter, thanks for responding.

I wondered about mailboxes!. Sorry for sounding a bit thick here but we have each got a login account (and the kids) on the XP Home front screen.

If I enter my desktop and then my Outlook etc, I have got her e mails (she does not get a copy). If I send her a copy it comes to me again. If I log out quickly she might get it but not often.

I am 'richard@garageroom.plus.com', she is alyson@etc etc.

Will setting up the mailbox in each of our accounts solve this?

Thanks again
Richard
Community Veteran

So are you saying you have not created separate mailboxes on plusnets system via the link I gave you? If that is true that is why you are getting all the email - by default if you dont have a separate mailbox for richard and a separate mailbox for alyson defined on plusnets email system, all email goes to the default mailbox which is what you are both accessing when you collect email from Plusnet..

What username/login name are you using to collect your email - check the settings in outlook. Then login to your system as alyson and check her email settings in outlook. I suspect they are both just using username

If you still don't understand about creating mailboxes on PlusNets system click on the email settings the configure mailboxes and post what mailboxes are listed. If it just lists one mailbox called garageroom then you only have one default mailbox configured. You need to click on add mailbox and create a mailbox for richard and a separate one for alyson with either the same password or a different password. Then configure outlook so when you are logged into your PC you use username+richard to login to the POP3 mail server to collect email and when alyson is logged in to your PC you use username+alyson to collect email.

See the following PlusNet help page: https://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?vfzo51T9UtU%3D
N/A

Thanks Peter, I already went through the Plus net help sheets and after a bit of trial and error, I have separated our e mails like you described.

I always knew the username was the common denominator I just wish I had asked on here earlier for the prompts which you kindly gave.

Thanks again

Richard

I will now do the same for the kids, if they wish to have outlook that is!