cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamode ADSL USB modem and Windows SBS 2003

N/A

I've been using a Dynamode A360 USB ADSL modem connected to a PC running Wiindows XP without problems, but I want to change my operating system to Windows SBS 2003.
The A360 is detected by Windows SBS and the driveers are installed and an ADSL connection is established, but I can't see how to configure it to log in to my plusnet account - how do I tell it my username and password?
Can anyone help?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Does this help: http://www.plus.net/support//adsl/a360_usb_modem.shtml - item 6 at the end. If the icon does not exist, it may not have installed properly on SBS.
N/A

ADSL - A360 USB Modem and Windows SBS2003

Thanks, but no, I'm afraid that doesn't help: I had already read it.

With Windows SBS 2003 you do not get the icon named "Shortcut to Wip Tech" on your Windows Desktop, no matter how you try to install the software (I even downloaded the latest version from www.dynamode.net).
N/A

I cant see sbs2003 resting too easily with wan connectivity provided by a usb modem.

Why would want to set it up that way anyway?

To fully utilise the facilities and services provided by SBS 2K3 I would recommend a router.

Out of curiosity what edition are you running and what is the environment in which the server is running?

Mark
N/A

You're not very encouraging Mark. Do you have any reason to believe that SBS 2003 has a problem with WANs over USB modem? Apart from its not giving me a login dialogue it seems quite happy, and I haven't found anything on the Microsoft site to put me off.

The reason I want to set it up this way is simple: I want to avoid the expense of buying an ADSL router.

It is the standard (i.e. cheapest) version of SBS 2003 I'm running (the one without ISA), and if I get it working, then it will be a small network of PCs and laptop with the SBS 2003 machine acting as the domain controller.

Alan
N/A

Hi Alan,

I was being curious more than anything else. I just couldnt see anyone going to the expense of buying SBS and then connecting it up to a USB Modem.

I wouldn’t recommend a USB modem to any of my clients running a standard PC let alone a Server and I am sure that the developers wouldn’t have considered such a set up for a 2K3 box. My opinion only.

When setting up the server, in the to do list if you run the Internet and email connection tasks is the modem identified?

I don’t mean to be discouraging. I have a bit of experience and suffered the headaches from setting up SBS 2k3 and would like to help where possible.

I do have access to MS tech support and I will make enquiries re your problem.

There are many issues with this kit although once properly set up and configured it is lovely.

As an aside, what is the spec of the Box your running? I have noticed issues with clients running SBS on what is in effect a PC as opposed to a proper server especially where Via chipsets are involved. If it where possible to borrow a router to allow you to connect and download all the patches etc for 2K3 it might help you.

Also worth noting is the fact that some of the proprietary AV solutions have issues with 2K3 and most of the Free personal use products wont run on it.

In the meantime I will ask about the USB issue you are having and get back to you.

Best regards

Mark

Edit OK I have asked the question and am waiting for a response. In the meantime I have a very handy set up guide for SBS2K3 in Word format. I can email it to you if it would be of interest.
N/A

Thanks for the very helpful response Mark.
Sorry I can't give a full reply until Thursday (when I am next in the same building as the server - my memory is not really accurate enough).

Although purchased as a server last month, it is quite a low spec machine with a single P4 (not Xeon) processor.

When I ordered this for my client I told them that no further hardware would be needed - I had not considered the nature of their broadband connection, so whilst it would only cost me £30 to change to a router, it would have to come out of my pocket!

The server is fully patched with all available updates. I can't remember the chipset, but I do remember that their were problems with the Serial ATA RAID array (which I could only get round by making the disk dynamic). Otherwise installation went as expected.

I would be very interested to read your SSB2K3 set up guide thankyou.
Could you email it to alan@aharwood.com please?

Thanks again,

Alan
N/A

Hi Alan,

I have sent the email as promised.

With regards swapping out the existing modem. Depending on the apps your client envisages using and what they may want to do in the future it may be worth investing in a router. How are the client PC's connected to the server? Have you installed two NIC's and a switch and do the clients need wan access? If it is up to you to provide support for this install then take the hit and supply a router.

If I can help further let me know.

Best regards

Mark
N/A

Hi Alan,

By way of update, please see response from Dynamode support below.

In addition MS Tech have confirmed that this device is not compatible with SBS 2K3.

This device has been taken out of production (nearly 1.5 years)

When installing the device should give you 2 options for driver installation (1=Lan 2=WAN)

As this is displayed alphabetically usually the first option is used

In this case installation driver installation should be WAN type which will install a dialer on your machine.

Please note Since the update of XP to SP2 there have also been reports that the device stops working as Microsoft have changed some of the core files for security purposes

This chipset is no longer produced and the manufacturers are apparently not going to develop a driver..asa thought perhaps the Windows 2003 Server utilises new technoloy

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Best regards

Mark
N/A

Thanks Mark.

I did receive the reply from Dynamode (I had approached them directly before posting to this forum).

Unfortunately no version of their software gives installation choices, and as a result I cannot choose the "WAN" option, and whilst a dialer program appears to be installed, it is not called when the ADSL connection is made.

I think I shall have to buy that router after all.

Thanks for your help.