cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating anti-virus and junk mail services

oldgustav
Grafter

Do I really need to run anti-virus s/w if I use PlusNet's anti-virus service? I have used PlusNet's anti-virus for a couple of years and at the same time used NAV and now AVG Free, but it seems a bit daft to duplicate the work. My installed anti-virus s/w has never picked up a problem because PlusNet's has got there first.

If the view is 'yes' you do need an anti-virus program running then what is the point of the PlusNet anti-virus service? The same applies to the [-SPAM-] catcher (which has recently gone mad and labelled 90% of my legitimate mail as [-SPAM-]). Outlook picks up junk mail quite well and Cloudmark is excellent. But PlusNet's spam catcher would enable me to dump the other services if it was more effective. Any views or guidance would be very helpful. See poll above.
3 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

No antivirus or antispam solution is 100% guaranteed. Plusnet's ought to be good because an ISP can update their definitions a lot more often than the average customer.

Running your own antivirus as well takes little effort and system resources, so it is still a sensible thing to do.
Community Veteran

Remember that you can pick up virus's for more sources than just e-mails. Such as web downloads and shared files.

The PlusNet virus checker is a great first line defence against e-mail borne virus, but should never be considered your main defence, as it is out of your control, how do you now when it was last updated?

As for spam filtering, I gave up on PlusNet some time again, and now use Thunderbird.

Chilly
oldgustav
Grafter

Thanks for this advice, guess I'll carry on with PlusNet and AVG virus checking.