cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual channel platform for memory

N/A

I have an Abit mb which supports dual channel DDR2. I have 2x512 memory sticks. If I put them in slots 1 & 2 i.e. in dual channel mode, is that now 512M working at a higher rate or still 1G working at a higher rate than if I put them in slots 1 & 3 where they will be seenas single channel.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

1GB running faster.

Dual channel means there are two 'pipes' to your memory instead of one so it can access data faster. It does not halve the amount of memory you have.

Note: dual channel does not work with all memory types and the memory sticks must be a matched pair - same config and speed.
N/A

Thanks. I have a matched pair but there are boot problems. Works fine in single channel mode, BSD on dual channel. Abit advises I may have to up the voltage slightly so will try this as soon as I can get the data on the memory.
GersFans
Grafter

Re: Dual channel platform for memory

I have an Abit mb which supports dual channel... I put them in slots 1 & 2 i.e. in dual channel mode,

I'm no expert, and not knowing exactly which board you use, but doesn't abit use the slots: 1 & 3 or 3 & 2 for dual channel mode?

If your sure its 1 & 2 just ignore me.. :lol:
N/A

I have a NF-M2 nView mb and for dual it is definitely 1&2 or 3&4 although I am now haveing problems as I get the BSD when in dual channel mode. Either the matched pair are not matched, one memory is faulty, the mb is faulty or the memory is not compatable with the mb. Abit suggests upping the V to the memory a bit, but I am waiting for the data sheet on the memory.
holdtight
Grafter

Your motherboard supports DDR2 memory modules which are 240 pin and will take up to 8GB so its unlikely you have memory thats incompatible as only these will fit the slots

Some AM2 boards have had some problems running 800mhz dimms but are generally ok, abit does indeed suggest upping the voltage a little when running in dual so may be worth a try but only in very small increments untill your system boots and i would check on there suggested increase before starting

Did you buy the two modules together at the same time as a matched pair or where they bought seperately as you do need to buy as matched pairs to gaurantee they are in fact capable of running in dual mode

Whats the error message your getting when your system blue screens and at which point is it doing this
N/A

When I said 'not matched' I meant that I understood they should have their characteristics matched. They were purchased as a matched pair. Perhaps they are not maybe? They are not 800mhz but the 533mhz ones.
I think the error message appears at varying times and I have now had a bsd when running in single channel mode. One error message is 'a problem had been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to the computer. Technical info STOP 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0x88940F3D, 0x86AFB89C, 0x00000000)'I have not been able to get data on the memory from the supplier so I do not know the maximum V for the memory so am reluctant to up the voltage.
It has been suggested that although I am not running a RAID system, I still need to install the RAID drivers. Firstly I cannot see where this would have any bearing on the problem and secondly, not sure how I do this from the floppy that Abit supply.
Community Veteran

Forget about RAID.

Most DDR memory (DDR1 anyway) runs at 2.5V and will happily run at up to 2.8V so I would try 2.6/2.7 or .5v increments if the mobo supports it and see if anything improves.

Are you running the latest BIOS for your mobo. Sometimes memory timing / compatibility issues are fixed by BIOS updates.

Finally, it may just be that your memory is not fully compatible.
N/A

This is DDR2 so I think the standard is 1.8V and secondly there has only been 1 release of the bios for my mb The baord is an Abit NF-M2 nView. Looks as if its coming down to an incompatability.
holdtight
Grafter

Try downloading and running memtest just to be sure your memory is not at fault

Once downloaded install it to a floppy disk then boot from the disk you will probably have to enter the bios to set floppy as first boot

Run memtest and see if you have any errors as the "a problem had been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to the computer" message is more often than not because of a hardware fault

You dont need to install any raid drivers on your system to get it up and running

Bill.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Or as I did a bootable CD as I don't have a floppy drive.
However when I had recently a problem with memory from Crucial they suggested this
To help determine if the memory is faulty we recommend HCI Memtest.

HCI Memtest is a simple memory testing utility that can test the stability and reliability of your memory and runs within the Windows operating system which eliminates the need to create boot disks.

HCI Memtest can be downloaded free from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html

Instructions for us:

1) Please visit - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html

2) Download the zip file by clicking the 'Memtest.zip' link

3) Save the zip to a suitable location (i.e. Desktop or my documents)

4) Extract the contents (Windows XP users, right click the file then select extract all)

5) Once the files have been extracted, open the new folder and then run the file 'memtest.exe'. Please note this will not install any software on your system

6) Once the program has loaded click 'OK' then 'Start'

The HCI memtest program will now start testing the memory. Please let the program test the memory until it has passed at least 500%. If there are any problems or faults with the memory, HCI memtest will display an prompt with details of the error.

For further information and FAQ's regarding HCI memtest, please visit: http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

You could also try the modules individually to check if one of the 2 is the cause for the crashes. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us (for a faster response please reply directly to this email).
N/A

Wow, will do all that but does that check for incompatability between mb and memory or if the 2 sticks are matched? OK I will see but probably not untill the weekend now.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
N/A

One thing to note with the memtest program - it runs continuously until you tell it to stop - the longer you leave it to run, the more reliable the results will be.
N/A

I will post in 2 weeks time then when I suddenly realise why my computer seems to be hammering the memory :lol: