cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual boot speed difference

N/A

well,
i have strange speed difference between operating systems on my computer. I'm dual booting with xp and xp x64. When i speed test with xp it is always getting a faster result than xp x64. Now the drivers are the same versions mostly, only they are 32bit and 64 bit respectively.

xp x86:

xp x64:

Anyone have any ideas why?
14 REPLIES
N/A

64bit really comes into it's own when you start using system heavy tasks requiring 3Gb or more RAM.

I work in 3D and a system rendering with 3Gb of RAM under 64bit is a LOT more stable than 32bit.

Basic windows apps and boot speeds is not what 64bit is about, it's about highend applications which can make use of more resources.
N/A

i understand the reason that xp x64 was made for and it is for actual professional use like rendering as you say. But xp x64 can use basic windows apps just as well, sometimes less and others better than 32 bit.
For most of the time i have actually been using x64 as my main os. i found that boot time was quicker for me, but lately i have been using x86 for various reasons.
i know my question isnt a serious problem, its just a query. i was just wondering why. it maybe just specific to my computer, they can be like that Wink

thanks anyway
Community Veteran

Well for a start you could try running a test on both rigs to another test site. I find the one you used to be unreliable.
Try the adslguide speed test, as I have found this one to be the most reliable and consistant of the web speed tests.
Link to adslguide The test can be found at the top right of the page.
Community Veteran

i've noticed speedtests to be different on different OS and different browsers. seen references to this sort of finding on other forums too.
i put it down to differences in the java(script) implementations but it's a guess rather than based on any technical understanding.
Walrus
Grafter

Check your CPU utilisation using task manager when performing these tests. You may find higher utilisation using 64-bit drivers, which is something I've come across with Broadcom NIC drivers for example. The simple reason for this is programmers lack of experience writing 64-bit drivers, whereas most 32-bit drivers are very mature.
N/A

thanks for the replies
sorry i didnt state that it happens on all speed tests that i try
i've tried the plusnet, namesco and the adslguide one, and the result is always the same
i never thought of the java before, it could be that, as when im downloading with x64 i can (can be the appropriate word as its not mostly) get speeds higher than what the speed tests suggest but still not as high as my x86.

i was thinking along your line of thought spare, cause even if im using the same driver version number for both they definitely arent the same, the 32bit one will definitely be better optimized

thanks guys for all the responses
N/A

just another bit of info, i never had this problem before Maxdsl, on standard 2mb dsl the two os's reported the same speeds :idea:
Community Veteran

What ADSL hardware are you using;

Router or USB modem?

Chilly
N/A

im using a router, thompson speedtouch v5 firmware 6.1
N/A

You have to remember you arnt doing a scientific test as network conditions can change so even a few mins apart things can change.

Is the CPU duel core as that could make a difference if the software can use the 2 cores.
N/A

my cpu is an amd64 3500+

the problem has been on going for over a month and a half (since i got maxdsl), the results are always roughly the same. At first i was blaming plusnet Shockedops: as i was using x64 as my main os, but as you can see i eventually found out that the problem was on my side
Community Veteran

I used to run a 466MHz Win98SE laptop with an old 10MB pcmcia lan card; speedtests (PN, adslguide and the "old" BT one) were always different, but really radically so when using different browsers (IE6, FF, Opera). Opera alwas tested slowest. Then I plugged in a wireless card, and the speedtests increased but there were still significant differences between the browsers.
Recently I've moved to a new 1.66GHz Acer with XP Home Sp2. There are still differences in speedtests but much less marked but I also test much quicker over all (which may be to do with recent changes at my local exchange of course).
My point really is that there's so much interaction of hw and sw that it makes speedtesting a bit of a game. Surely the only comparable measure of speed would be at the WAN interface of the modem/router rather than at the application end of things in the pc?
N/A

You havent got error Event ID 4226 in the event log have you?

XP SP2 limits the number of tcip connections and also keeps some of the bandwidth for its self with QOS this may account for it.

you could try some of the tweaks on my page

http://www.janwright.co.uk/software/tweek.htm

to see if they improve it
N/A

thanks mwright
i havent had a chance to check yet the error event but your page is fairly comprehensive. I knew a couple of these tweaks buts its great to have them all on one page, will be bookmarking this Cheesy