cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive Image Software

N/A

Drive Image Software

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some decent hard drive imaging software so I can make a complete image backup of a newly installed system to save me re-installing all separate drivers, software etc if I run into problems later? Kind of a system restore cd/hard drive image?

I'm looking at Powerquest Drive Image 7.0 at the moment but thought I'd check to see if there's anything else on the market before I spend my $$ :-)

Cheers,
Tim.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Drive Image Software

Norton ghost

NTI drive backup! 3 disk imager. Or you can get NTI backup now! 3 which which is a system/disk backup utility (incremental & full backups) which includes drive backup 3. I have used this for several years now and I would recomend it. There is also a free trial so you can test it before purchasing.
N/A

Drive Image Software

Muppet question alert!

If I install nti, can a boot from a cd and restore my system from a saved image as you can with drive image, or do you have to have an operating system already installed?

Thanks for your reply btw :-)

Tim.
N/A

Drive Image Software

I've used versions of PowerQuest Drive Image for system backups for years and found it very good.
Community Veteran

Drive Image Software

alntim,

Drive Backup 3 has 2 backup modes.

• The first is a full emergency recovery disk mode which creates a bootable floppy/CD and will restore an image of your OS disk (which you made when creating the emergency recovery disk). This mode can recover from a complete disk failure and does not require an OS to be loaded.

• The second is a drive image mode which can create an image backup of your non-OS disk (i.e. drive D etc). You do need an OS loaded to restore this image.

So for an OS disk restore you use the first method, for an ordinary (secondary) disk you use the second method.

For incremental backups you need the other utility I mentioned, NTI Backup Now! 3 or by NTI Backup now! 3 delux which contains both packages.

I hope that answeres your question.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Drive Image Software

Many thanks Peter, I'll give the trial a go, sounds just what I need!

Thanks for your advice. :-)

Cheers,
Tim.
N/A

Drive Image Software

Try Acronis True image 7 from http://www.acronis.com/

The major differnce is that it will make a image while you are still in windows and you can carey on working while it does it. Its the only one which can do this as the other require a dos session.
N/A

Drive Image Software

And for what it's worth, I've just realised PowerQuest is no more. Gobbled up by Symantec. Makes me a little sad for some reason.