cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek feedback please

Community Veteran

Draytek feedback please

I'm in the market for a wireless modem/router and seen what appear to be bargains on (new) Draytek 2800VG ... as I fancy something needlessly complicated and with much more functionality than I will ever need, this really appealed to me. draytek appear to be beta-ing multicast on these too, and I'm unlikely to ever use that either, so even more reason to buy.

Anyone had any experience with these yet? Are they OK? Flaky? Need lots of firmware upgrades? "Future proof" ? Worth the £150 or should i stick to an eBay DG834g for £40?

thanks in advance
8 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Draytek feedback please

Uptil a couple days ago (when I lost my job, lol), I looked after a Vigor at work and it was the biggest pain in the rear I've ever had to deal with. If you like needlessly complicated and terribly unreliable, then the Vigor is the perfect router for you.... otherwise I'd recommend staying away from them.

I've had a Netgear DG834GV2 on my home network for well over a year without any problems what so ever (and they're only around $50 or so now too - cost me £120 when I got mine Sad).
Community Veteran

Draytek feedback please

thanks, thats interesting as your experience seems to be at variance with most of the posts on here regarding draytek kit.
i've had a look on draytek's own uk forums and there does seem a bit of a problem with at least the wireless performance and instability when using WPA.
anyone else?
N/A

Draytek feedback please

If you're set on a Draytek how about looking for a second-hand 2600G? Mine is rock-solid with an 8128/448 connection, and it certainly has an abundance of complicated and esoteric options to play with. It's not bleeding-edge of course, but it should be a lot cheaper (and possibly less painful) than a 2800. Smiley

Alan
Community Veteran

Draytek feedback please

my original post was only half tongue-in-cheek as although i'd like a complicated toy to play with, i'd also like something solid and "futureproof" to accommodate plans for a small home network (mostly wireless) and hosting a little website over the next 12 months. the voip is attractive as a nice-to-have given that the VG can be got for the same price as the G at the moment. a secondhand 2600G goes for about £80-£90 on eBay so the price differential isn't huge.
But I take your point!
N/A

Draytek feedback please

my original post was only half tongue-in-cheek

Mine was about 75%. Smiley

as although i'd like a complicated toy to play with, i'd also like something solid and "futureproof"

Yeah, I wouldn't really advise someone to buy a 2600 nowadays unless at an absolute bargain price. I've been very impressed with mine but time and technology move on, so it makes sense to look to the future.

Alan
powernumpty
Grafter

Draytek feedback please

I've got one here and one at work.
I Love the features and the latest firmware has added even more.

I have to setup ipsec VPN's between these and Linksys RV042, the vigor seems the weak link in the chain.

Also the one at work is being used as just an access point right now and it seems to hang now and then, not seen this at home.
I like them but if your job relies on running them as one end of a VPN I'd think twice.
That said I PPTP to my home network and it just works.
N/A

Draytek feedback please

the one at work is being used as just an access point right now

The 2600G will function as an AP? That's interesting.

Alan
channel
Grafter

Draytek feedback please

I have a 2600We. Wireless was always terrible and firmware extraordinarily complicated to use. Now I use it effectively as a dumb modem and use a couple of Linksys WRT54G's with homebrew firmware to pump wireless around the house. Works well!

Drayteks certainly aren't futureproof. The 2600We can't handle multicast, even though the specs were essentially industry standard at the time the unit was being produced.

Not everything about it is terrible... it works.... however, it seems to me that Draytek equipment certainly isn't worthy of the price premium it seems to attract.