cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek 2600G wireless problem

PLC
Grafter

I recently got one of these to replace a Netgear DG834G that refused to run for more than a couple of hours without rebooting. When it did run the Netgear was fine and I could use my laptop all over the house and garden with ease. The Draytek works like a dream on the non wireless side and I am more than happy with it in that respect. However, the wireless side seems rubbish. Even at six feet from it the laptop only reports 90% signal and outside the room it just will not connect at all. This suggests to me that either the RF side of the router is faulty or the laptop's netork card is. I would appreciate any constructive comments on how to proceed. As an interim measure I am going to borrow a Netgear WG602 to see if I can proof the Draytek is faulty as the supplie ris being somewhat difficult.
4 REPLIES
N/A

swapping the router or network card are the only way to prove which is at fault. I assume the network card is compatable with the new router ie its 802g. Thats the only thing that springs to mind that you have 802b /802g mix.

You might try netstumbler to see if you can see the network wih that.
http://www.netstumbler.com/
PLC
Grafter

Thanks for that. It really confirms my suspicions. I really wanted reassurance I was not missing something obvious!
wadeford
Dabbler

You will find that 802g hasnt got the same distance as 802b...

If you find it is the router 'at fault', it might be worth considering upgrading the antenna - I believe Draytek sell a 5dB Omni directional upgrade...

Also, try changing the channel you are using, somethings other devices can affect it (microwaves, TV-sender boxes, cordless phones, etc)
PLC
Grafter

Thanks for that. I have already tried 5db gain antennae but it has made no difference. I will try some different freqencies.