cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading without installing 98 updates

N/A

As you may know, free support from Microsoft comes to an end soon for 98 and 98SE. No more updates or security patches.
I still have one PC running 98SE.
What, if any is the best way to save a fresh fully updated install of 98SE, ideally to CD, otherwise a hard drive partition?
It would be great if this saved install could be independent of any particular machine, that is, could be reinstalled if the PC had major hardware changes. The reason I ask is because the PC is question tends to receive parts from other machines that have had upgrades.
Of course, the best way would be to download without installing all the updates available, and there are loads of them, on to a CD. Sadly, I can't figure out a way to do this, I think it goes under the name of slipstreaming or something similar.
I have a service pack 1 CD for 98, but I'm not aware that anymore recent versions where made available.
I know I should probably give up on 98SE, it's over 8 years old, but it is still good for PC's with less than 256ram and 1 GHz processors.
Ideas anyone?
4 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

You can still download all the 98/98se updates from the microsoft download centre Paul then simply slipstream all the updates and service packs into 98 using autostreamer to make a full bootable 98 disk

You can also make a custom CD using the same program to include any drivers that you want to install as well

I know windows 98 isnt listed in the autostreamer supported operating systems but i have used it before with 98se without any problems

Or you can use a program such as Acronis trueimage or Ghost to make a full copy of your clean install partition including all the updates pre-installed and burn it to CD or DVD for future use

Hope this is what you meant and is of some use to you

Bill.
N/A

Thanks bill, I'll give it a try later tonight, I have to pick the wife up from work soon.
I'm puzzled has to how it's going to get updates from Microsoft.
As you know, you can only download and install them, not save them to a folder.
Do I have to run it on a 98SE PC thats not been updated so I can save the updates to write to CD.
Or can I run it on a XP machine with the original 98SE CD in the CD drive, does this somehow detect the correct updates I'm after.
Sorry to be a bit thick about this
Thanks
Paul
N/A

Oops, it seems updates for 98SE can be saved to a folder.
I never knew that, always got them direct from Windows update.
But they are also available elsewhere on the Windows site as stand alone
It's all making sense now
holdtight
Grafter

Hi Paul

Yes updates can be saved as executables for all windows versions into a seperate folder on your hard drive then once there copy any service packs you
have into the same folder and point autostreamer to the source disk [98] and the folder you want to slipstream into it [updates] and it will produce a .ISO disk ready to burn to CD