cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dont know why i was surprised

jabb0
Grafter

Ok i mainly use Ubuntu for working on my compo, but have a dual boot with WinXP to play games... rome total war started playing up so i started tinkering to fix it, low and behold windoze folded after a system restore and left me hangin :roll:

well now that IS to be expected, so i merrily started reinstalling, first off it didnt give me the option to use fat32 as the filesystem which annoyed me - then once it had installed it completely failed to even think that it might not be the only OS in the universe and had destroyed the GRUB thingy that used to let me choose my OS.

So now i boot into WinXP every time. Ill need to work tomorrow :x

i am in WinXP at the mo, with no way to get to Ubuntu - can i installl that GRUB thing from here?

can anyone help me, pretty plzHuh
10 REPLIES
N/A

Most Linux installs have a duel boot recovery option. Is your install on two different hard disks?

I have a simpler setup with Fedora 4, and I use the bios to choose which disk to boot from. That might be an idea for the future.
shellsong
Grafter

If you have a Linux live CD like Knoppix or SimplyMepis you can use that to reinstall Grub-- XP has overwritten your MBR like the ill behaved brat of hell it is! Wink

A Knoppix live CD with an uptodate ClamAV and various other tools can be useful for digging undiscerning Windoze users out of holes caused by viruses, worms and trojans as well!
jabb0
Grafter

@ gadgetboy
Yeah they are all on sperate partitions

@ shellsong
I dont have the live CD, but i have the full install CD - i think you have hit the nail on the head - how do ya think i get grub installed without initiating the whole install process?
or
could i get to the grub bit and then exit the install process somehow?

all sounds a lil risky, but my /home dir with all the imprtant stuff is on a 3rd partition, so thats should give me some damage limitation if this all goes south :?

PS my cd/dvd burner packed in about a month ago - and i havent got it replaced, all i have is a lowly DVD reader, no writer of any kind im afraid Sad
shellsong
Grafter

Try initiating the installation CD and see if there's an option for installing the bootloader before you're committed to the main installation-- (if the worst came to the worst you could probably reinstall Ubuntu as long as you didn't do any formatting Tongue although you could possibly lose your personalised session settings if you were very unlucky)
N/A

Even the full install disk should have a recovery option, the one for Fedora 4 has, much like windows install does.
jabb0
Grafter

will try and report back cheers guys
jabb0
Grafter

heyhey - hello from ubuntu!!!

well it has definitly give me linux back, now to try win!!!
N/A

Hopefully without clearing the previous install?

Good to hear it's sorted.
shellsong
Grafter

Glad to hear you got it back!

My laptop came with XP Home on it but I've hardly used that except for some routeplanning software and a few DVDs-- never even got around to setting it up for network use! As soon as I got it I installed Ubuntu (Hoary Hedgehog) then Breezy Badger when that was released-- I've got about three different kernel versions on Grub along with the original XP Cool
jabb0
Grafter

Hello from windoze :lol:

cools thanks guys all back to normal.