cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody know anything about laptop batteries?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have a fairly old Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop, that actually works quite well (apart from a faulty colour band on the right side of the screen)

But the biggest problem is it's apparently knackered battery, which while never briliant now has a life of under 15 minutes as long as I don't use the computer for anything other than switching it on, so it can't be effectively used unless it's permanantly connected to a power supply, which makes it somewhat useless as a portable PC.

As anybody who has replaced a Tosh battery will know the cost is pretty phenomenal, but I seem to recall I read somewhere years ago that the there is or was a deep discharge service available which almost renews the life of the battery.

Does anybody out there know or recall anything about this?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I did read about such a service several years ago.
It was in one of the camcorder magazines when all camcorders used Nicad batteries.
It did claim to bring them back to almost new state and there were several letters from users claiming how it had really revitalized their batteries.
The bad news though is it was a long time ago and I can't remember the name of the firm and I no longer have the magazines.

So it did exist but I'm not sure if it still will with the advent of new types of batteries that have moved away from the nicad technology?

Anything found with a search for say "nicad renewal" ? (I'm assuming it is a nicad battery)
Community Veteran

Thanks for that John.

It's quite a long time since I saw the battery (the Tosh is collecting dust, but I may have just found a reason to use it again) but I think it it's Li-ion but I wouldn't swear to it without looking.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I had some spare time so I did try a search for Nicad batteries but found nothing refering to refreshing them.
But if you think its a Litheum Ion battery then I can't remember seeing any info on these in the past Cry

I did find this though at this site which is not good news for th Li-ion battery.

The end-of-discharge voltage of the Li-ion needs to be carefully controlled and must, under no circumstances, go below 2.5V per cell. Protection circuit intrinsic to the Li-ion pack prevent the battery from being discharged below the safe limit. If allowed to self-discharge below 2.5V, unrecoverable capacity loss occurs when stored in that condition for three months or longer. Similar to the NiMH and SLA, more cycles can be obtained by partially, rather than fully discharging the Li-ion battery.

Seems that leaving them unused for a long time is bad news.
Community Veteran

I was actually reading Dell's website regarding 2 faulty batteries I have today and it explained how to do a deep discharge on them. I guess if you can do it on a nasty old Dell laptop a Toshiba will work too. Check Toshiba's website, Ive always found it to be a good source of info for help with my two Toshibas.

Chris
Community Veteran

Hey thank's guy's, I'm just on my way out, but I'll certainly take a look at the Tosh site later on.

N/A

Laptop battery discharge.....

However extreme this may sound, it works, and has been done hundreds of times at my work place with 100% success!

1. Wrap the battery in a plastic carrier bag....
2. Stick it in the freezer overnight.......
3. Done...1 Completely discharged battery. Give it a full charge in the Laptop and hey Presto, your battery is as good as new!
Community Veteran

If the above does not work or you don't want to risk it you need a new battery so ...

The best battery web site I know is http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/defaultuk.asp , if you know the full Tosh model number you can look it up and they probably have a replacement.

Maybe a bit late but could be useful for others.

Cheers

Peter Cool
Community Veteran

Thanks Peter, Even their price is £75 a go, a bit excessive for an off-chance that I might use it on the move again.

But thanks again...