cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Windows Update check PC updates thoroughly?

N/A

Hi. I'm asking this question, as I have several times run the MS Baseline Security Analyzer on my PC, only to get a report saying that I am missing a certain update for WM Player 9, whereas a subsequent online scan of my PC by the MS Windows Update facility has passed me as good-to-go (strangely enough, repeated manual downloads of the update in question haven't sorted the problem out, so I'll be either ignoring the report result, or musing over the problem for a little while longer, or both).

This issue was already in the back of my mind, as someone in these forums (cqg4uzg, I think) had earlier suggested, during a discussion of browser security, that I might be missing some IE updates, and I was puzzled, as the Windows scan had given me a clean bill of health.

I think that I read somewhere that the MS Windows update scan checks whether you have at some point in the past, downloaded a particular update, but not, crucially, whether that update is still present on your machine.

Is anyone else aware of this? Thanks.
8 REPLIES
N/A

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

that's your best bet. it will tell you almost all of the updates missing from your computer.
N/A

Thanks for replying, Marouf, but I've already run MBSA - my point was that doing so suggests that I'm missing certain updates, whereas the Update scan says that I'm okay, and so I'm wondering why the different result, really.

I'll try a shorter post next time! Smiley
N/A

Windows Update only 'updated' every couple of weeks I think.
So this is why you'd be missing 'windows' updates.

However, mbsa checks patches for a variety of microsoft software.
N/A

What windows update and MBSA consider "critical" are different.
Windows update is intended to keep you updated on standard installations with a resonable degree of security (patching known "standard install" vulnerabilities. You can choose to install other non critical updates as well.

MBSA will look for other aspects that are not part of a standard install, such as MSXML, DCOM and so on.

Also, the two appear to look if the security measures are installed by different means. Maybe, Windows update just checks the registry, while MBSA looks for the file version, I am not sure. There is certainly some difference, as MBSA tells me I have a security flaw in DirectX, while I know the patch (KB819616) is installed and shows in the "add/remove" panel. Also, DirectX9 is installed which does not have the flaw anyway.

Basically, I take these with a pinch of salt. The checkers may work well on a newly installed machine, but once you have patched, updated, installed a service pack, done a system restore or two, any checker is going to fall over.
N/A

Thanks to both of you. That does clear the issue up for me.
N/A

Hi
Take a look at www.bigfix.com
Small download that checks for updates on your system.
Ive used it, seems ok. Not sure how thorough it is tho',.
Gary
N/A

even better.. stop using WMP9..

if you use it to play trailers u get from the web in AVI or mpeg format use

c:\program files\windows media player\mplayer2.exe

if you use it to watch DVDs there are MANY free ones out there

and of couse, if you use it to listen to music.. get winamp 5 (its FREE!!!)

Buz
N/A

At risk of getting repetitive, Merci Millefois.

I'll check out Bigfix & winamp 5 tomorrow. Wink