cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need the WINOLD folder?

Alecto
Grafter

Just looking at where all my disk space has gone, I found a folder called WINOLD on my C drive. It takes over 1Gb, on my 30Gb disk, and says it was last modified in 2000.

Since it's called Old, I tried to rename it, prior to deleting, and it came up with a warning not to, or programs might not work.

I can't get any sense out of Google about it.

I'm using Windows ME. Anyone know why I shouldn't delete it and get the space back?
7 REPLIES
N/A

WINOLD FOLDER

Hi,

Before you delete the WINOLD folder have you had a look to see what's inside this folder. If it contains old data such as old saved downloaded programs,old MP3 music files,old games, old documents,etc,etc it might be safe to delete? BUT if this folder still contains a folder such as "program files" with installed programs then the warning might be correct and if you were to delete it you may find that some of your installed programs wont work any more. So some careful detective work is required & some care taken before deleting ANYTHING!

**The problem with this is that if it wasnt YOU that renamed the folder to winold and if your NOT sure what the folder conatins then that is abit tricky.

**On WinME most installed programs will be found inside c:\program files but you need to find out if any of your currently installed & working programs are using c:\winold instead of the normal c:\program files folder.

**One way to check and find out is to look on your start menu, program menu and make a list of those programs you still currently use. Have a look in winold and see what lives in this folder and check winold for the programs you have on your start menu,prgrams menu this should give you a good idea if winold has working programs inside it or not.

**ONLY once you are completely confident that winold doesnt contain any working programs etc then & only then delete it. or if you have access to a CD-R or CR-RW you could copy,backup or move the 1GB of data to disks before deleting the winold folder just in case.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Alecto
Grafter

Thanks for that comprehensive warning, Ivan.

I'd assumed that because of the name, it was something officially created by Windows. I don't remember having anything to do with creating it, but wouldn't be at all surprised if I'd been told to by the Windows reload disk or something similar.

A quick look doesn't reveal anything remotely interesting or newer than 2004, so I think I'll rename it to something different and see if anything notices over the next few weeks. If not, then I'll get shut of it. If so, I can just rename it back.
N/A

Replying again Ivan

Hi gpattison,

That sounds like a reasonable approach too me, & YES! you should be able to rename it to something else & even rename it back to winold if needed.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

I seem to remember that system restore sometimes saves and renames folders in this fashion
Alecto
Grafter

Thanks both.
I have used System Restore a while ago, so that could be it.
So here goes with the renaming, and if you don't hear from me again, it's proved fatal...........
nmercer
Grafter

Hey Up. Looks as though it was fatal!
Alecto
Grafter

Nope, just shopping for fuchsias Tongue