cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do AGP 8x cards fit in AGP 4x slots?

N/A

As per subject...just wondering whether the pin configuration will allow me to put a new 8x card into an old 4x motherboard.
5 REPLIES
N/A

My 8x AGP Radeon 9200 ATI 128MB works fine in my k7s5a motherboard which only has a 4x AGP slot.

a tip - look on ebuyer.com for the card and read the reviews, they will tell if it is likely to work
Community Veteran

AGP 8x is backwards compatible with AGP 4x so it will work fine if your mobo supports AGP 4x cards, but obviously only at 4x speeds.

In pratice you will find little speed difference between cards running at 4x and cards running at 8x unless you are using a high spec mobo with a high spec 3D game.
N/A

In pratice you will find little speed difference between cards running at 4x and cards running at 8x unless you are using a high spec mobo with a high spec 3D game.

True, but aren't all new graphics cards 8x now?
Community Veteran

Only because the market (i.e. you and me) insist on always getting the latest technology when in fact the majority of graphics cards did not even max out the 4x interface.

It is only the high end cards that can benefit from > 4x interface speeds, and only then if the mobo chipset 'really' supported the 8x speeds internally (which many did not initially), so most cards with 8x interfaces will work at their maximum speeds using a 4x interface.

Also you are unlikely to see any AGP 16x interfaces as AGP will shortly be changed for PCI-Express. As soon as mobo's with a PCI-Express interfaces start to appear in quantity, all graphics manufacturers will start switching to it because they don't want to be left behind, even though most graphics cards will not actually benefit from this new faster interface initially.
N/A

It's the voltage that is more important. 3v, 1.5 volt or 0.8 volt.

The keying on the card will stop it being inserted into any Mobo on which the AGP slot does not support the right voltage.

Check the voltage your Mobo supplies to the AGP slot and the voltage requiremenst of the card. Generally, less that 4x = 3v, 4x = 1.5v and 4 to 8 either 1.5 or 0.8v.