cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dive missing - any suggestions please

N/A

We have a network of 3 Pc's; Pc1 has 2 hard disk drives and on boot this morning dive D was not recognised. I have checked the bios and the drive is correctly recognised.
Before I buy a replacement - can anyone suggest other actions to see if I can find D again please?
2 REPLIES
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Have you done a "Windwoes" XP security update recently ? The reason I ask is that the latest security update can screw up your system, as Microsoft freely admits. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165.

The simplest test is to see if you have a file called versclid.exe in your C:\"Windwoes"\system32 folder. If you do, try renaming it to versclid.old, and then re-boot and try again. It may be a red-herring, but I had all sorts of system problems as a result of the update.

No-one seems to know whether Microsoft are intending to do anything about this or are just shrugging their shoulders.
N/A

If the bios see the drive then it should be ok chances are its lost its partion info.
Can you see it in disk admin?

Try booting from the xp cd and going into recovery consol and see if you can dir d:
or try a win98 boot disk and see if fdisk sees it. Other tools which may help are Partion Magic can it see the drive