cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disc and printer sharing over VPN

N/A

Hi,
I have a VPN between my place and an elderly relative who I support.
Win XP at both ends running TCP/IP. Netgear DG834 routers at both ends with NetBEUI enabled, both PlusNet connected. Network sharing is set up fine at my location and the other end.
I can ping the router at the far end and the PC by IP address. I can't ping the PC by name and I can't 'see' the shared folders or printer.
I suspect that the fault may lie with the DNS or WINS settings but don't know exactly what I should have set there.
Any ideas?
D
6 REPLIES
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

I'm unsure if it applies to every network, however, you may need to ensure that your VPN is configured to send broadcast messages.
N/A

The problem with the vpn is your pc has no knowledge of the setup at the other end as there is no dns to resolve the computer names etc. You should be able to map drives etc if you use the ip address.

The best way is to simply use remote desktop as this gives you full control with no problems
N/A

Hi guys,

Thanks for those ideas.

I can now ping by PC name as the result of using the 'hosts' file but this is still some way off 'seeing' the drives in the GUI. How do I go about mapping using the IP address (didn't realise this was possible...)?

I take it you mean the Remote Destop which is part of XP? (I've got XP pro at this end and XP Home at the other.) Would it have to be enabled/accepted each time at the far end or can it be set up for immediate/unattended access (through a password of course)? Does this allow for file transfer across the link?

Thanks,
David
N/A

Hi,

There are two methods of mapping a drive via IP. The (probably) easiest is to click on 'Start','Search','Computers' (on the left), then plug in the IP address and click search. Once the computer has been found, open it up and map a network drive via right clicking on the drive.

The other method is to open a command prompt and type 'net use xx: \\yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy\aaaaaaaa where xx is the drive you wish to map, yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy the IP address of the remote computer and aaaaaaaaa the share name.

Regarding remote desktop, you can set this to accept connections by default by right clicking on 'my computer', select properties, remote and make sure that 'Allow users to connect remotely to this computer' is ticked. RDP, or remote desktop does not by default allow file transfer.
N/A

Excellent, got the drive mapping which gives the easy transfer of data I was looking for. Having some difficulty attaching to the (networked) printer at the far end but will persevere.

So, the remopte connection looks rather like the LogMeIn connection I have been using - useful and no need to go through the process of loging in to the web site - I'll give that a try too.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers,

David
N/A

Hi,

Drive maps and printer map working great. Haven't tried the Windows Remote yet but I have no doubt that will work; if not I have LogMeIn and PcAnywhere as backup.

Many thanks indeed for the info, much appreciated.

David