Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabled Services

jabb0
Grafter

Disabled Services

Hey guys,

I have got this laptop with a problem.....

Almost all of the services have been disabled....

Like i have no idea how this happened, but unless i can find a way to fix it i will have to reinstall the thing....

Please help.

what would have caused these services to stop?

If i try to restart them i just get stupid errors....

running WinXP

Please Please help
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Disabled Services

What errors do you get? Surely not all services have stopped. Any particular ones you know are affected?

What service pack are you running? Have you done any Windows updates? Have you got any antivirus protection or a firewall, if so what?

Chris
jabb0
Grafter

Disabled Services

Dude, just about every service has stopped.
There were only 2 running.

I have got this from a friend who asked me to fix the thing, she didnt leave the power lead for the laptop.. and now it has died... how great is that.

No antivirus or firewall on it yet as it is pretty much new.

I have seen many a screw up on a compo, but nothing like this.

The only error that actually come up in normal running is when you open powerpoint for the first time...
It tries to install additional components, then crashes out saying the installer service is not running... this is when i went to check the services tab in the management console (u know where device manager and stuff is) and as i said only 2 were running - i cant check what they are as its dead, at least till i get the power lead.

Do you have any ideas, its pretty catastrophic, dont you think.

Returning the laptop isnt an option i am willing to consider, until i would be sure that it is a hardware defect - which i very much doubt.

As i said above, i think reinstalling windows is the best way to go, and windows seems to be well and truely screwed over man.

Like what can you do when only two out of the many many services are running?

System restore only holds 1 day behind - which is useless to me.

ReinstallHuh
Community Veteran

Disabled Services

Once you have the power cable :roll:

I would sit it next to another PC running XP and set the service startup properties the same as the other machine, restart and see how things go from there. It must be worth a try.

Chilly
N/A

Disabled Services

This link might heip http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm

It gives the default services configuration for XP.

I have used the safe settings on my computer before and everything worked fine.

Linda
jabb0
Grafter

Disabled Services

yeah i was thinkin about that, but when i try to start one service, it gives me some crap about dependencies - i dont think starting the services is goin to work, like the user didnt sit and switch them all off.

It something has happened.

The only way which that method would work is if i found out the base service and worked my way from the bottom up, and you know what, i think it would yake less time to reinstall windws on the thing.

Has this neva happened to anyone before? (i doubt it)
N/A

Disabled Services

Some of the things you describe smack at a virus. With cases like this it takes longer messing about trying to get it going than reinstalling.

After you have messed about you cant know what state its in.
jabb0
Grafter

Disabled Services

methinks that too.

But it neva got as far as the net.

I think your right, cos there is no way it is gonna let me install anything now, i was thinkin of a viruschecker here.

You may be wondering y was there not one on it - well it was bought from e-bay (not by me, but by a friend) - on saturday past.

One thing before i start reinstalling...
Its a "Tiny" Machine, i have worked with "Tiny" desktops before, and drivers were a COMPLETE NIGHTMARE. Any one had any experience with "Tiny's" laptops?
Community Veteran

Disabled Services

I would sit it next to another PC running XP and set the service startup properties the same as the other machine, restart and see how things go from there. It must be worth a try.

Chilly

OK, read my post again very carefully.
Set the startup properties the same, and reboot.
Starting the services individually will give dependency problems.

Chilly
N/A

Disabled Services

Might be worth checking "msconfig" a lot of people disable services in there for quickness.... easy enough to restore them if it has been.

Start->run-> "msconfig" then click services tab to see what's been unticked.

Also check general tab, see if it's set to normal startup, or something else. It should be at normal.

While you're in there, have a look in the startup tab for strange looking entries, such as "ABC123.exe" - this is difficult if you don't know what you're looking for.

Apologies if you know this stuff.
jabb0
Grafter

Disabled Services

This is a real good idea
Also check general tab, see if it's set to normal startup, or something else. It should be at normal.

and i wish i had tried that one before i reinstalled, which has went very well.

Thanx for your help.