cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directx 9 help

N/A

Directx 9 help

Hi I recently reformatted my computer, Im trying to put some games back on.Whenthe games installed it askes to install directx 9c I install it but its complete with 3 seconds.Having installed this before i know it should not have been that quick. :?

Anyways I load up the game and again it askes me to install directx 9c, i have downloaded it from multiple sources games discs and on line, but still no good any help would be greatful thanks Cool
13 REPLIES
N/A

Directx 9 help

My friend has also got the problem ...I know what has causes it now but im left with no answers..he install grand theft auto san andreas on my computer and it played fine but now its not working, he installed it on his comp and same thing happened but his is now working yet he has not done anything apart from reinstall the game Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil
N/A

DirectXc problems with.

Hello,

Nop! before you ask me No! I dont know what is the precise cause of this problem. However DirectX is one of those Microsoft development software that is designed improve multimedia functionality when it comes to sound (MP3), Video and games and movie playback.

**As with numerous microft technologies have you check to make sure that you dont have to have other MS components installed first before DirectX 9, i.e. is directx 9c dependant upon something else like dot netframework or something like that?

**Another thing you could try if possible might be to completely uninstall directX and then re-install it from scratch. But make sure that if you uninstall it successfully that you do reboot your machine before re-installing DirectXc again.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Directx 9 help

Go to your start menu and click on run.

Type in dxdiag and see if the program starts up.
N/A

Directx 9 help

Hi how do i uninstall it i thought i read somewhere you couldnt if I can thats what I will do......my computer is setup exactly how it was before installing damn grand theft auto im sure directx 9c was already there to be honest..

I did the dxdiag a couple of days ago it tells me there is no problems.I tried a diognostic with one of my games and the tests for directx said that 2 of the 6 tests failed.

Thanks for the replies Cheesy
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Directx 9 help

Probably not the best or easiest solution, but if you reformatted again, download and install DX9 straight from the MS website before installing any games.
N/A

Directx 9 help

you need the .NET framework for DX9 to work i think
Tiger50
Grafter

Directx 9 help

Did you install the correct graphics/video driver once you installed xp
N/A

Directx 9 help

ive done everything correctly when installing all the correct drivers.

I uninstalled directx 9c and use the one on the windows disc directx 8 something.I then reinstalled it directx 9c but again it downloaded quickly and wasnt actually complete.I then uninstalled service pack 2 and took directx 9c of again reinstalled it and it worked, but now when i try to put service pack 2 back on it wont load windows up so im back to square .

its annoying because i am using all the same hardware all the same software as before...all i can say is thanks grand theft auto .

I will reformat the comp now thanks all Cool
N/A

Problems with DirectX 9c Replying Ivan

Hello tillbgoode,

Frankly I'm really not at all sure yet another reformatting will solve this problem it sounds like you have a gliche or conflict with Service Pack 2. Please be aware that windowsXP SP2 is NOT like previous service packs. XP SP2 is far more like a new revision or new version of windows, this was admitted by MS themselves. NOTE: some of the key windows files, DLL and kernal files have been almost completely re-wriiten to further enhance windows security issues.

**SP2 has caused problems for some users & companies when it was released. So this might be just an SP2 issue, you could try just sticking with SP1 like me (I have no intention of going to SP2 as I have a stable system without it anyway).

**In SP2 the windowsXP firewall is turned on by default so if your using a better quality product such as ZoneAlarm then you have to actively disable the windows firewall in services applet.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Directx 9 help

Well sadly you are right the format did not work but everything im doing ive done before and its been fine....does part of directx get saved to the graphics card itself cause im not putting anything extra on my comp that i havent before. Cry

When i installed the drivers for my sound card files were missing to it and caused my cd and dvd drives to vanish.I have fixed that problem at least.

I wish i never let my friend install the damn game now its making me feel quite sick.Its such a pain cause i just got my comp running pefectly.
N/A

DirectX woes replying,Ivan

Hello tillbgoode,

I'll be honest with you I dont know a great deal about DirectX and how it interacts with programs and games especially. As far as I do know DirectX just extends some Windows OS functions & just interacts with other software like sound systems & sound drivers, helps to improve graphics capability but it doesnt save anything to your graphics card as far as I know. If it does I've never heard about this.

**I suggest that if you can? go back to Microsofts website and have a careful check of the system requirements for installing directX. Make sure it doesnt require other MS components to be installed before directX can be installed & run. I have to say MS are absolutely dreadful for doing this to end users, you think OK i'll download and install such and such program only to find that its missing some other the critcal MS part which you then have to also download and install. Sometimes things get very picky and the software even has to be installed in the correct order for it too work without problems too. I could even be a simple as that!! ? sadly.

**Also have you checked the system requirements for the game concerned? does it REALLY need directx 9c to be installed for it to work?

**I have directx 8.xx on my machine with an Nvida graphics card and it works very nicely for me, I'm NOT in a hurry to install directx9c even though its availble, if it aint broken dont fix it?

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Directx 9 help

Hi Again most of the games i have do require it, in saying that they have never worked without (directx9c)....Anything released when halo was is ok requires directx 9b maybe lower i think.

I read somewhere the chip on the graphics card i have got (Geforce 6800 ultra)can be rewritten for some reason or another...all i know it was something i would never need to do, so i was just getting the feeling something to do with grand theft changed one of those files.Im totally not sure of that side of things though.

I will do another format and install service pack 2 after directx 9c see how that goes maybe it does like to be done in a particular order like you said.

thanks for the replies. Smiley will let you know how i get on thanks again
N/A

Directx 9 help

Result its fixed but i can not tell you why.....Maybe it was just order of installation hope so keeps it simple that way Cool

thanks for everyones help Cheesy