cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Camera - any recommendations

Community Veteran

I've been asked to look into getting a new digital camera at work by Monday. Price range upto £300. My own knowledge on these isn't too upto date since my Kodak 2.2mp with a 16mb CF card does me fine.

Doesn't matter about the make, although I think they'd prefer a well known brand, but they won't buy another fuji one - too many problems with the current one.

Must use an SD card - not CF or anything else.

Size and weight arent a major concern.

Must be suitable for taking pictures of conferences - 100+ people and be able to take good pics in poor quality lighting, close ups would be an advantage but generally nothing closer than 60cm would be too much of a problem.

One with it's own rechargable battery would be a plus - thier current Fuji one doesn't.

Oh and it's goto come from Insight preferably.

Chris
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Riiiight... seeing as it's for the company, is the £300 inc. or exc. VAT?

What kind of sized prints are wanted?

Thomas
Community Veteran

300 is excluding vat, but I'm sure they would prefer it to be cheaper if possible.

Some of the prints done would be A4 or possibly A3 at a push and would generally be sent to a proffesional printing company. however smaller ones might be done for insertion of small photos into newsletters and assosiated in house spam that they like to produce. This is generally done on a colour laser 'in house'. But many images will be kept and used electronically.

Chris
N/A

What about the Kodak DX6490. Dell current price is £256 + vat and delivery.
you can read about it here
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/dx6490.html

Ken
Community Veteran

That's a good camera, but certainly not ideal for A3 photographs - Kodak cameras always overprocess images which effectively reduces the resolving power.

It's a shame you're against Fuji becuase they do a camera which I think would be perfect for your needs (the FUji FinePix F610 if you're interested - 6MP with a special sensor that gives a bit more visible resolution)... the Kodak DX7630 could also be worth a look, as it also has 6MP, but as I mentioned above you lose a bit of that by the camera's processing.

Moving down to 5MP, you should take a look at the Canon Powershot S50 (pretty much the leader of the pack), or if you want fancy stuff like laser focussing (useful for night-time photos), the Sony DSC-V1... there's also the DSC-W1 which is similar but without some of the features.

Thomas
zpeterk
Grafter

I'll give a vote an other for the canon S50, you can get it for £207+vat
Community Veteran

Think I'll go for the Kodak one, I'll keep you posted once we get it.

Thanks for the help.
N/A

Thinking about the Kodak DX6490 myself and see you can get it for around £220 - £230 including VAT mark if you look around. Amazon are doing it for £220 including VAT and delivery. Smiley
Community Veteran

Went for the Kodak dx7630, £245 exc vat from Insight (account manager special price).

Seems pretty good so far, very good at detail, however it doesnt take normal batteries at all, would have been nice if it done both and it didnt come with a docking station, meaning the only way to charge it is to take the battery out and put that in the charger.

I'll probably order a docking station later on.
N/A

They had one of those docking stations in Jacob's camera's, just of the moor, side of cash converters. I think it was about £60 ish.

Ken
N/A

There is only one camera a fugi finepix s5000 on offer in Argos. fantasic 10 optical zoom and great pics
Community Veteran

I think it was about £60 ish

I know the place, bit too expensive though.
Community Veteran

Yeah, £60 is the going price - way overpriced, but that's the way it is I guess.

Just one word of caution - if you do get the dock, make sure you get the right one! There are IIRC 3 different models (the original Easyshare Dock, the 4000, and the 6000)... your camera will only take the 6000 - so if you see one of the older ones cheap, don't be tempted. Tongue

Thomas
Community Veteran

I've noticed the docks are different, my camera at home (DX3600) has a very different dock to the sort needed by the camera in work. It annoys me when companies make such phyisical changes just to push prices up.
N/A

have a look on www.pixmania.com for digi cams.fantastic prices and delivery is extremely fast.pity a fuji isnt what your looking for they have the s7000 now at £330 inc vat.