Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digicam Batteries

jabb0
Grafter

Digicam Batteries

Got a new Digicam.
Konica Minolta Dimage Z3. Just ate through 4xAA batteries in around 4 hours. I was using it alot, but even at that going recharge-able would make more sense than trying to feed this monster.

ni-cad; ni-mh - and the rest. I dont have a clue, some giudance is defo required on what i should be using for my camera.

Anyone out there in the know, wanna lend a hand?

cheers
9 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Digicam Batteries

Hi
Go for the ni-mh batteries as they dont suffer with memory effect like the ni-cads do, also go for the highest powered you can get like the 2000 or 2300mah`s

I dont know much about the Z3 but you could try jessops or the like and see if they do a li-ion or lithium set for it as they would make even more sense
Denzil
Grafter

Digicam Batteries

I got some Uniross 2500mAh NiMH recently, which are the highest I have seen. Turning the display off helps, because that will use a lot of power. You can also get larger battery packs that you can wear on a belt or somesuch and plug in to the camera.
jabb0
Grafter

Digicam Batteries

I doubt that a battery pack is compatible as there are 4 sepearte holes for batteries and they are battery sized so not much more will fit.

So i am looking for the highest powered nimh ones i can get
grahambritten
Grafter

Digicam Batteries

I've got a Konica Minolta Dimage Z2, nice camera Cheesy

I use UniRoss 2300 mAh Ni-MH, from fully charged I normally get a days use out of them. Obviously this is dependant on usage.

Also bought a UniRoss Sprint Recharger which can also be used in the car. With a fully charged spare set of batteries in your pocket just gives extra security.

Appears that UniRoss 2500 mAh Ni-MH and the Sprint Recharger with batteries are available at Argos (that's where I got mine).

Hope this helps.
Denzil
Grafter

Digicam Batteries

The external battery packs have a cable that plug in where you would connect a mains adaptor. Maybe not all cameras have a connector for an external power supply, but I think most do.
holdtight
Grafter

Digicam Batteries

They do indeed including the Z3
jabb0
Grafter

Digicam Batteries

Thanks for your replies, most helpful.

u mentions battery packs - Im not quite getting the logic behind why you would want extra batteries outside the actual camera, surely this is jus something else to try and hold onto - then again there must be some half desent reason for them being in existence?
Denzil
Grafter

Digicam Batteries

Because you can get bigger batteries in an external pack! The pack could be attached to a belt, or carried in a backpack. Of course you could just carry more AA batteries if you need to. Or indeed one set of high capacity rechargeables might be fine. It depends how much you will use the camera in one session.

So its your choice, but you can be better informed in that choice if you know what all the options are.
N/A

Digicam Batteries

Sadly Digital camera's do consume batteries, I use the uniross 2500 mAh ones, which are pretty good but if I want to use the LCD screen I know I'll need to carry a spare set. Thankfully I can turn it off to save juice.

As for the memory effort, well sadly Ni-MH batteries do have a memory effect, it's just less pronounced. Its also best to fully dis-charge and re-charge batteries a few times in their early life to build up the overall capacity and to fully dis-charge them about once a month after that.