cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial up or router?

N/A

Dial up or router?

Hi :lol:
I am new to plus net so if I am in the wrong forum please tell me?
I have a Packard Bell desktop PC under a year old 2.8 Ghz 512 ram using a Voyager 105 usb adsl modem on broadband.
I want to be able to use my Dell 15160 Laptop also 2.8 Ghz
but it has a 56k dial up modem.
Q Can I use it with my existing plusnet software asa dial up?
or Q2 do I need to buy a router and if so what spec do I need for plusnet to work on it and make life simple? :?:
Any advice appeciated
Ernie

[Moderators note by Thomas (kuglin): CAPS removed from title, as they're akin to shouting - and hard to read!]
4 REPLIES
N/A

Dial up or router?

You have a couple of options and a router is indeed one of them, you can get them pretty cheaply. The alternative to a router is to share the internet connections through your PC using Internet Connection Sharing.

To do this you would have to connect your laptop to your desktop with a crossover cable.The dissadvantage of this is that the desktop PC would have to be switched on in order for the laptop to connect to the internet.
N/A

Dial up or router?

ICS is evul so thats out the window

What you would want is a 2 or 4 port ADSL router (with built in modem) with uses ethernet cables to conenct your PC and laptop to it. This will allow both , or either PC to be on at the same time and both to have axx to the net independant of each other. You may want to get a wireless router so that you can equip ur laptop with a wireless card (I recomend Buffalo or Linksys) so that you can wander about your house wiht the laptop and not need a long cable.

Buz
N/A

Dial up or router?

ICS is evul so thats out the window...

Well there is that.... :lol:
N/A

router or dial up?

Thanks for replies.
Ernie