Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Destroying batteries !

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Destroying batteries !

I have just - at enormous expense - managed to destroy three brand new laptop batteries. My old laptop is obviously the culprit !

I have a separate battery charger for these 14 amp Li-Ion batteries, and when using that, everything has been fine. When using the batteries in the laptop without mains power, everything has been fine.

But plugging the batteries into the laptop when plugged into the mains has been disastrous, and has succeeded in zapping three out of four ! Oh dear.

Can anyone suggest a cause ? The laptop works fine on mains power and on battery power. But I cannot afford to go on like this.

Can anyone suggest a cause ? And if so, is there any remedy for the poor old batteries which have seen practically no use ? Can they be woken up ? They are all flat and will not accept a charge, even from the battery charger. The remaining charges fine in the battery charger.

Is it time for a new laptop ?
10 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Destroying batteries !

Inside the laptop will be a charging circuit that charges the battery from the 18V or so coming from the mains power supply. With no battery or no mains it is OK because it cannot charge. With battery and mains connected it will try to charge the battery. Almost certainly this circuit has failed in some way and won't be repairable, so yes it's time for a new one!

It is not worth trying to recover the fried batteries. If they have been physically damaged by a faulty charger you won't get them back.
shermans
Rising Star

Destroying batteries !

Thanks for the bad news !!

Do you think this is good value :

Acer Aspire 1642ZWLMi - Pentium M 735A 1.7 GHz - Centrino - RAM : 512 MB - HD : 60 GB - DVD±RW (+R double layer) - 802.11b/g - Win XP Home - 15.4" Widescreen TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )

£381.28
(£448.00 incl. VAT)

Any advice appreciated !

Thanks
Community Veteran

Destroying batteries !

sounds ok to me. but also have a sniff round the dell outlet store as there are some nifty bargains to be had there.
shermans
Rising Star

Destroying batteries !

I looked at the Dell site but the deals were not that brilliant at present. So like a fool, I have bought the following direct from HP for £465 incl. VAT and delivery, and I hope I did the right thing. Any words of comfort out there Huh Shockedops:

HP Pavilion zv6115EA- Laptop AMD Sempron 3000+
12months warranty
AMD Sempron™ 3000+
Cool'n'Quiet™ Technology
Memory 512 MB
DDR PC2700 333 MHz
Supports up to 2 GB DDR memory
Storage 60 GB 4200 rpm
DVD Writer Dual Format (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support
ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M IGP graphics
128 MB shared video memory
15.4” WXGA High Definition BrightView Widescreen 1280 x 800
3D Sound Blaster Pro compatible sound 16 bit integrated
Altec Lansing® speakers
Wifi 54g™ 802.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM* / SpeedBooster™ and BroadRange™ support
10/100 LAN Ethernet integrated
High speed 56K modem
4 USB 2.0; 1 VGA; 1 RJ-11; 1 S-video TV-Out; 1 RJ -45; 1 Expansion Port 2 connector; 1 headphone-out; 1 microphone-in
One type I or II PC card slot. CardBus-enabled
8-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery
90 W AC Power Adapter
36.2 cm (W) x 28.4 cm (L w/o hinge) to 29.4 cm (L w/hinge) x 4.56 cm (H/Front) to 5.06 cm H/Rear)
3.6 kg (7.97 lbs)
Preinstalled Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
DVD player software
CD and DVD burner software
Denzil
Grafter

Destroying batteries !

Looks good to me. HP's customer support is very good in my (albeit limited) experience, and I think that is just as important as good specs and price.
shermans
Rising Star

Destroying batteries !

Thanks - it's just arrived and looks good but that means nothing. However, it does not fit my old computer bag, which means I am going to have to saw a piece off the end ! I'll let you know how I get on.

I have to recommend this method. I bought it direct from the HP auction of remanufactured stock on Ebay - i.e. demo models etc. It has not been used and came in a sealed box just like new. I only won the auction at 4.00 p.m. yesterday, and it arrived in very rural England this morning at 10.00 a.m. I bought a desktop from the same source about six months ago and was equally as impressed. If anyone is interested, this is the link :

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/HP-Renew-Shop-UK_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amewaQ3amesstQQtZkm

Nick
Community Veteran

Destroying batteries !

However, it does not fit my old computer bag, which means I am going to have to saw a piece off the end ! I'll let you know how I get on.

May be worth thinking about getting a "Flight Case" to carry and store the Laptop in rather than a bag.
I got one for mine from Maplins at £14-00. It has foam rubber on the inside and the compartment partitions can be adjusted to make your lappy a snug fit. Smiley
shermans
Rising Star

Destroying batteries !

Good idea, I will try that.

In the meantime, I have gone all sentimental and found my old DEC (as in Digital Equipment and VAX) laptop bag, for my old Ultra 2000 which fits it perfectly. Ahhh, those were the days ! How could Compaq and rhen HP destroy such a wonderful company ?
Community Veteran

Destroying batteries !

N/A

Destroying batteries !

it does not fit my old computer bag, which means I am going to have to saw a piece off the end !

Saw a piece off what exactly? :lol: