cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desperately need help

N/A

Desperately need help

Hi All

I have just installed SUSE 9 point something Pro on my wifes machine. and things have gone radically wrong (possably my fault).

1) Whereas I assumed it would set up a dual boot system it seems to have removed Windows XP and always boots into Linux which is bad enough but I can probably grovel my way out of that.

2) it asks for a log in name and password, but when installing I saw no facility to enter any information as regards user name and password.What have I done wrong or is there somewhere I need to go to enter that information? If I can overcome this problem I can talk my way out of problem 1 by extolling the virtues of Linux.

I don't seem to recall having these disasters when many years ago I installed a version of SUSE onto my Windows 98 machine it set up dual boot and I don't recall having to enter a user name and password......... but I guess things have changed a lot since then
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Desperately need help

Someone else may come up with a better Idea but why not try re-installing suse? I know in 9.3 there is an option for user/pass in the setup as I have recently set it up dual boot with windows 98. As to your xp problem I don't know sorry!

also are you sure you didn't enter a password anywhere in the setup, if you did try root as the login and that pass as the password, from there you should be able to get in to setup other users.
Denzil
Grafter

Desperately need help

If the Suse installer finds a copy of Windows the default partitioning system should be to dual boot, with an option to change partition sizes or remove Windows. If you can log in to Suse then open Konqueror and see if there is a Windows folder at the top of the directory tree. If you can open that and see the Windows files then you can configure the bootloader (probably GRUB) from within YAST somewhere, and add the option to boot into Windows.

'Normally' the default user in Suse doesn't need a password. I don't know of a way in without the password, but maybe somebody else here does :? It is probably easiest to reinstall Suse from scratch, maybe paying more attention to what it is doing! It might work fine a second time.

If you need to reinstall Windows then do that before Linux, as Windows will overwrite the master boot record and you won't be able to get back to Linux.
N/A

Desperately need help

I know in 9.3 there is an option for user/pass in the setup

Hi there thanks for the reply.......... I did not notice that option but am wondering if it is in the page that comes up early in the installation where it list the keyboard language etc with the change option button at the bottom?
Community Veteran

Desperately need help

I don't know sorry. Denzil's advice seems sensible I'd follow that.
N/A

Desperately need help

I don't know sorry. Denzil's advice seems sensible I'd follow that.

Am currently working on that advice in that I am doing a new re-install.I did notice however and don't know if this has any bearing on things........ I see the countdown of how long to go till CD 2 is required but no box coming up saying insert CD2 now so am not sure at what point the second CD should be inserted....... it does ask for it after a restart but is that the correct time or should I do it earlier
Community Veteran

Desperately need help

iirc It installs a basic system then reboots into that to finish the install, let it do what it wants to for now but keep and eye on it.
N/A

Desperately need help

Thanks folks got it sorted SUSE now working.

One question if I may....... it won't play her DVD's any ideas as to what I need to get
Community Veteran

Desperately need help

Would this be of any help?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DVD-HOWTO.html
N/A

Desperately need help

Would this be of any help?
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DVD-HOWTO.html

Yep great thanks....... Ok I will leave you folks in peace now.

Cheers
Denzil
Grafter

Desperately need help

The media players with most distributions are supplied crippled for fear of licensing issues with the code used to read DVD video. All you have to do is go here http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html and download the "Essential codecs package". Extract this to /usr/lib/win32 ( you may have to create this directory). If it still doesn't work download and install a new copy of Kaffeine.

I did that and Kaffeine now plays all the formats I have thrown at it so far.