cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop memory mix

N/A

Desktop memory mix

Is it OK to have installed in my PC three sticks of 512MB, DDR400 / PC3200, memory two from Kinston and one from Corsair. I have four memory slots and one will obviously be unused is this OK.

Thanks
24 REPLIES
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Desktop memory mix

Try this web site mate it will do a scan of your pc if you let it ......... and tell you e=waht you can have memory wise.....

http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.asp
holdtight
Grafter

Desktop memory mix

As long as your board can take the amount of ram and they are all the same speed sticks then yes it should be fine

The link craig has given you will tell you how much your board will take
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Desktop memory mix

You have an AMD socket 939 processor with the memory controller on the CPU.
It is probable that you will lose the dual channel feature and there may be other problems as running 3 sticks with these processors has caused problems in the past. Also losing dual channel may well cause a drop in performance.
I suggest you ask this question on these AMD forums
N/A

Update the real problem

The original question was asked as I think my dram memory has failed. This morning I got a long beep followed by a vocal warning that the memory was not working.

After trying many variations with the memory I have found that the two Corsair (VS512MB400) 512MB, DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, 184 DIMM,
unbuffered, CL2.5, 32Mx8 DRAMs, don’t work together anymore.

My next problem relates to the slots I had them in which were DIMM_A1 and A2.
The memory only works in slot A1 but not A2 and like I said they don’t work together; only one is recognised if they are in together the PC won’t post.

After reading my motherboard manual for advice I discovered that my Asus A8N-SLI deluxe doesn’t support this memory running together (oversight). However, it has been working together up until this morning.

Please could the experts advise me what to do now? Do I buy some new memory that is 100% compatible or could it actually be a slot failure in the motherboard (Please NO) :shock:

Sorry about the long post but would appreciate your help.
:?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Desktop memory mix

As a next point of call I suggest you try this forum as this is the official Corsair support forum.
If anyone can help they can.
N/A

Desktop memory mix

Tested various memory in the socket in the motherboard DIMM_B2 slot and all refusing to post I just get a long continuous beep.

A long continuous beep is what ebuyer will be getting tomorrow as I can't send my motherboard back as it is over 28 days since I purchaced it. They just directed me to the Asus website when I requested a RMA number online. Talk about take the money and run.

Just don't understand how the socket can just stop working though? Everything was fine!
N/A

Desktop memory mix

You should be glad you can send it back to Asus and not have to deal with eBuyer lol. Asus will be a hell of a lot faster at sorting the issue.

Before you send it back to Asus there are a few things to check.

1) You have the latest BIOS for your motherboard installed?
2) All the memory sticks have been tested in another machine and are working?

After you have done that then we can narrow it down to a motherboard issue. (Just downloading the manual for your motherboard).

Okay from the manual its saying that B2 will only ever work when you have a dual channel kit with its brother setup in B1. It tells you to test single dimms in B1.

When installing two dimms that are not dual channel for example 512MB and a 1024MB you put them in A1 and B1. The only time B2 is ever mentioned in the manual is when A1 and A2 have got dual channel sticks in and you want to put a further dual channel kit in.

So you would have for example:
A1=Corsair 512MB, A2=Corsair 512MB
B1=Kingston 256MB. B2=Kingston 2256MB

All that should run in dual channel and work fine even though you have not matched brand names aslong as the memory sizes are the same and the speeds are ran the same it should work in dual channel.

So if your testing memory in B2, dont. Single sticks should be tested B1 when you only have 1 stick in. 2 x memory that is different sizes should be in A1 and B1.

Put the dual channel memory into A1 and A2 if it works but doesnt work in B1 and B2 that means A1 and A2 need to be used before B1 and B2 can be used.

I hope this makes sense, memory crap has become so confusing with dual channel not even I can understand most of the time lol.

By the sounds of it it doesnt support 3 dimms in the motherboard.
You either have the choice of:
1 running on its own.
2 running seperatly not dual channel.
2 running dual channel
4 running double dual channel.

So we can say that...

A2 and B2 Dimms are Dual Channel only Dimms. They CANNOT be used unless there is an identical stick (size/speed/type) in the X1 slot.

Running no dual channel on this motherboard leaves you with only 2 slots. A1 and B1. You can only ultilise all 4 dimms when you are using 4 dual channel memory sticks.

Having a dual channel installed in A1 and A2 then installing another dimm into B1 will defunct the A2 slot and force the computer into none dual channel mode. This sounds like what you have done, therefor believing the A2 memory has failed when in actual fact you forced the BIOS into none dual channel mode by using the B1 slot without having its dual channel brother in B2.

I hope this is right, if it is then there is no issue with your board you just need to follow the manual to a T when it comes to installing memory.
N/A

Desktop memory mix

Phearfactor, Wow you got me thinking hard about this now. I did make a mistake In that I cannot get memory to work in the official DIMM_B1slot and not the DIMM_B2 slot stated in my previous post. The memory I have is two lots of corsair and not an official matching pair.

Surely the machine should post if I put just the one in DIMM_B1 as the manual recommends but it doesn't. When it went wrong I had one each in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 but they were not an official pair but identical in everyway. At the moment I have the memory in DIMM_A2 and B2 and it working fine?

You mentioned that I should attempt to update the BIOS for the board. Firstly, I am not confident to do this but will have a go if it could fix the problem (but how could it fix the problem?)

Secondly any ideas why it should stop working suddenly with how I had it.

Thanks for your help its very much appreciated.
N/A

Desktop memory mix

Not sure exactly why its stopped working. Can you post the details of each dimm, pretty much everything it says on each one of their labels. Size, speed etc.

Also updating the BIOS is now easy peasy. Asus have something called the Asus Update and it works on your motherboard (I just checked) it updates the BIOS from in Windows.

You can find it on the disk that came with your motherboard or download it here.

The program should download the latest BIOS and pretty much do it all for you. It takes out the risk out of BIOS updates because when they go wrong its usually because the wrong BIOS was used, this software eliminates that bit Wink

Although if the 2 corsair dimms are the same size etc, you should put them in A1 and A2. When it boots up it should say on the BIOS page something like "Dual Channel Enabled". If it does then your sorted, dont touch anything. Installing any more dimms will make the BIOS jump out and change the settings, UNLESS of course you stick another 2 matched dimms into B1 and B2 then you will have double dual channel.

Dont run them in A2 and B2 or A1 or B1 if they are identical apart from the brands etc. Aslong as they are rated at same speed and are the same size they should work absolutely fine in *A1 and A2* or *B1 and B2* (the dual channel dimms have to be in this order).

If you decide you want more in the future and decide to put some new dimms in B1 and B2 they dont have to be the same as A1 and A2. I am not sure how different them can be but I am pretty sure they can even be a different size from the A section dimms. So you could have the above (my previous post) and they will all work in dual channel.

So you would have for example:
A1=Corsair 512MB, A2=Corsair 512MB
B1=Kingston 256MB. B2=Kingston 2256MB

This is how you want it setup, same sizes go to A1 and A2 then if you have another 2 memory put them into B1 and B2.

If your still unsure if they will work in Dual Channel just do what I said earlier. Post all the details of all your dimms and I will tell you how best to set them up, which dimm slots etc.
N/A

Desktop memory mix

2 x Corsair (VS512MB400) 512MB, DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, 184 DIMM,
unbuffered, CL2.5, 32Mx8 DRAMs,

Here is the link from ebuyer. I got them due to the good reviews

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=4...

They were purchased as two seperate modules but are the same.

Regarding the bios update I have installed the asus software as you suggested a few weeks back and clicked on the update bit. It downloaded something but does this mean it automatically updated the bios the version date I have installed at the moment is 7.26.05

So as you say if I have two modules of ram i have to install them in DIMM_A1 and A2 and not DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 as I thought it was telling me. However, it still doesn't explain why I cant get a single module to work alone in DIMM_B. People will say whats the fuss its working but I want to know why it stopped working in the first place when I had them in the origianl sockets. Like I said if its faulty I want a replacement but maybe it isn't faulty now?

Thanks for your support and patience I am finding this very confusing.

UPDATE: I ahve put both memory modules in DIMM_A1 and A2 and when I boot up it says single channel and DDR 333 shoudn't it say double channel and 400 or am I being DIMM_ :roll: Shockedops:
N/A

Desktop memory mix

That is pretty weird lol, maybe the manual I downloaded is different although it does say its the A8N SLi Deluxe one...?

It is usually the two dimms with the same colour that you put the modules into. For example if A1 and A2 are both blue, and the other two are both black then you match the colours.

If you read the manual it should explain it pretty clearly, or I am hoping you will understand it better now after my long posts of bleh lol.

Also at the back of the manual you should find a guide on how to run Asus Update Wink

I am looking at the picture now and the manual they say is for the A8N which I downloaded is clearly wrong. A1 and B1 are the dual channel dimms, sorry about the confusion the manual I download was obviously written incorrectly lol.

The two blue dimms are the first dual channel dimms and the black dimms are the second dual channel dimms.

Try both of your corsair in A1/B1 and A2/B2 and reply back here telling me if the BIOS posted on both of them with "Dual Channel Enabled"

If the B2 dimm slot works when the A2 slot is inserted aswell you know for definate the board isnt broken and its because the dimm is only suppose to be used when your using dual channel on the black slots.
N/A

Desktop memory mix

Sorry for onlookers this must be really boring but phearfactor I appreciate your support (I'll put you on my xmas list)

OK here goes DIMM_A1and B1 both blue and one module in each no post just a long beep. DIMM A2 and B2 both black module in each it posts.
N/A

Desktop memory mix

But when it posts does it say DDR400 Dual Channel Enabled?
N/A

Desktop memory mix

yes it says DDR400 Dual Channel Enabled on the boot screen one in each of the DIMM_A2 and B2 black sockets?