cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Window Hotfix files

N/A

Is it safe to delete the Windows XP Hotfixes files once they have been installed? I like to keep my machine tidy, and there are rather a lot cluttering the place up. Evil
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What do you mean by delete - do you mean via add/remove programs or physically delete some files of your hard disc - i.e. the $NtUninstall folders in your WIndows folder?

If you delete from add/remove programs you are effectively uninstalling the hotfix so your system would no longer be protected by that fix.

Not sure what effect deleting the hotfix folders will have - I would play safe and leave them alone. You never know if a new hotfix needs to uninstall a previous one.
Community Veteran

Found this: http://www.mcse.ms/message44616.html so as long as you don't want to uninstall any fixes they say it's safe to delete the folders.

You could always backup to a CD just in case.

Note: the add/remove entries use these folders to backout the hotfix to the previous file versions so they will become uninstallable.
N/A

That answers my question, thanks. A little less ignorance here now!
John
Community Veteran

I just checked my $NtUninstall folders and they take up just over 1GB of space - so that's where it all went to :shock: