cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed Write Error

Fixes: 133

Delayed Write Error

Hi

Does anyone know the cause of one of these errors?

It happened on a SATA 80GB drive that is only around 7 months old. The drive then disappeared from Windows Explorer and could not be found in the Management tool.

A reboot failed to solve it. I swapped the two SATA connections within the PC and powered up and the drive re-appeared only to get the same error again when I tried to save a file.

I fiddled with the power and data connections to the drive and rebooted and all seems well except that the next couple of times I rebooted a CheckDisk was run for that drive.

All seems well now but I am concerened whether it could have just been a loose cable or is it a symptom of something more serious.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Delayed Write Error

What OS are you using?

Never had the problem, so can't tell for sure. The following Microsoft article might help if using XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

So from that it could be software/BIOS settings. I don't really know too much about why the error might occur - so others might know more?

Delayed Write Error

Thanks.

That link was very helpful although I am certain all my cables are correct and, the fact that I get this message on a SATA drive rather makes the cable idea redundant. I have had this error on a 160GB PATA drive so it could be something to do with the DMA settings.

I will look into this later when I have little more time.

Cheers

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Delayed Write Error

Hmm,

I would kind of be swayed towards BIOS settings, reason is it seems to be working now so not a hardware fault.

Also when I built my last PC about 9 months ago (which had SATA for the HDD's and IDE for the DVD drive), I had all sorts of bizarre read access problems (and errors) with the DVD drive. It would detect the disc name, but reading anything off it was a no-go.

I would have thought the drive might have been at fault had it not been out of my previous PC and working fine there.

I ended up changing one of the default SATA settings on the IDE channel from the default setting to something else which solved the problem.

Bit of a vague description I know, but I can't exactly remember what setting it was, and what I changed it from/to now Smiley

Delayed Write Error

Thanks again for your help hunthome.

I have two HDD on the SATAs and three HDDs on IDE ports one of which is on a Silicon Image PCI Card. I also have a DVD re-writer and DVD ROM but lately the DVD ROM (about 5 years old) appeared to stop working although it does accept and eject the DVDs. I just put it down to the age of the drive.
Maybe it's time to give my system a complete overhaul. I'm going to re-install XP anyway as it has all become a little sluggish.

Cheers

N/A

Delayed Write Error

With that sort of drive usage you are going to get problems if you use DMA there is only a limited resource and if all drives use dma there wont be enough to go around. Other things like printer port use dma as well.

Firstly disable everything in the bios you dont use to free resources like printer port(uses DMA) serial ports and anything else you dont use(maybe a network card). thes things can make a vast difference to resources especially when you dont use the printer port.

Then go into device manager and change some of the drives not to use dma but use POI mode. Choose the drives you use the least and the ones you dont need high speed access on.

It can go ok for ages until you use all the dma up in one hit like coping from drive to drive
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Delayed Write Error

I had this error on one of my SATA drives a few times, seemed to be because the drive was overheating, got an Akasa drive cooler and all's been fine since.

Delayed Write Error

Thanks for all the help.

yes, heat is definitely a problem so will look to reduce that.

The Boot drive was PIO mode and I can't find how to see the settings for the HDD connected to the PCI IDE card (it's not under Device Manager - Silicon Image Controller).

I will reboot now a have a gander at the BIOS settings.

Cheers