cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defragmenting blues ?

N/A

Defragmenting blues ?

why does it take windows98 so long to defragment my C drive. it goes on for hours and it's only a 4gb ?Huh
17 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Defragmenting blues ?

Hi,

Do you notice if it keeps stopping and starting again? If you've got programs running in the background they can cause defrag to restart because the contents of the drive have changed (even slightly). Make sure you shutdown everything including AV software, email and screensaver before defragging.
Community Veteran

Defragmenting blues ?

Simple answer - boot up into safe mode and defrag there. Much quicker.

Or get your self a decent defragger like the one included in norton systemworks - this still suffers from restarts when a disk write occurs but it runs many times faster..

The defrag in windows will always restart whenever a disk write occurs. This could be caused by any of the many background processes that are running. The only way to make sure is use safe mode.

To get into safe mode just reboot as normal. When you hear the first beep, press F8 which should give you a boot menu and select safe mode without network support.
N/A

Defragmenting blues ?

thanks guys....I shall reboot into safe mode and run defrag from there.
maybe while i sleep.
N/A

Defragmenting blues ?

Get OO Defrag or Pefect Disk or Disk Keeper 8, they don't re-start each time any activity happens on the hard disk.
Community Veteran

Defragmenting blues ?

Well just for the sake of trying it I have just run a defrag on this old win98 PC.
It has a 20 gig partition on a 40 gig drive.
Running the defrag in normal mode but with no other programs and no screen saver took about 20 minutes to complete the 20 gig C drive.
N/A

Defragmenting blues ?

20 minutes ! wow ! mine is taking 4 hours +
it keeps going "drive's contents changed - restarting" at about 10%.
i'll shut everything down and try again'
thanks
Community Veteran

Defragmenting blues ?

I think I've come across this before.
The problem may be that with only a 4 gig drive it could be pretty full so theres hardly any room for the program to store the things it needs to move.

My 20 gig partition has masses of free space so Windows can use as much as it needs to store things in.
Also how much Ram on your machine? if its only got a small amount then it will need to swapfile a lot, which again will not be helped by a small drive thats full.
N/A

Defragmenting blues ?

I use Diskeeper 8. It runs in the background and automatically defragments your disk whenever it is needed. www.executivesoftware.com
N/A

Defragmenting blues ?

just finished running it in safe mode and it took 90 minutes.......which is an improvement . john, the 4 gig drive could be the problem..but alas that will have to stay the same for a while yet.
ain't got them defragmenting blues no more'
now if i can only figure out how to make an email link on my website using the plusnet website builder !!
thanks all
tom
Zathras
Grafter

Defragmenting blues ?

Might not help on a 4gig drive but the way i avoid defragging is to find the worst fragmented files, copy them to another folder, delete the original and then cut-paste the copies back......much quicker i find Smiley especially if u use winmx which is a right pia for fragmenting files.
Community Veteran

Defragmenting blues ?

now if i can only figure out how to make an email link on my website using the plusnet website builder !!

To make a email link in your site you could insert the following code where you want the link to be.
Edit it of course for your user email address, username and the text you would like to see on the site

<A HREF="mailto:name@username.plus.com">the text for your link</A>
N/A

Defragmenting blues ?

thanks again john i shall give that a try.
Community Veteran

Defragmenting blues ?

Back to your original subject...

How much free space do you have on your drive? If it's less than 10% that could be why the defrag takes ages and will also be impacting your overall performance.

You may want to have a look around and delete stuff off you no longer need.

Empty recycle bin
clear temp internet files
clear any temp folders
Remove apps you no longer use.

Search for files > 1Meg and see if they are really needed.

You may be surprised how much junk you keep on your disk.
N/A

Defragmenting blues ?

I've recently cleared my drive of junk and now have 2.5 gigs free, I've got 128 ram so not a problem there. is 90 mins too long?
johnessex------email link-----it works, and the proof is at
www.steveniblock.co.uk thanks for the tip.
don't laugh its my first site Wink