Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data recovery from Western Digital drive

Patch
Grafter

Hi

I have a WesternDigital wdc600 in a windows 95 machine. The drive has ceased working, and I wonder if it is due ot data corruption.

I just found on the Western Digital site that...

"If Data Lifeguard Tools is used to prepare the drive, it will be able to partition a drive equal or larger than 32GB with no issues. But once enough data has amassed on the drive that is equal to or larger than 32GB, data corruption may occur."

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_sid=ck5*brhh&p_lva=12&p_li=&p_fa...

It would be great to recover some of the work on this machine since the last backup, and so wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

If I put the drive in a win2000 machine it recognises it fine, but then wants to format the disk.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Patch
5 REPLIES
N/A

You say the drive has ceased working, but windows 2000 picks it up. The drive maybe working but the boot sector, FAT Table may have become damaged.

Have you tried starting the WIN95 Machine using a boot disk? if you have, were you able to access the hard disk?
the_norris
Grafter

I've used Software called 'Bad Copy Pro' to recover data from floppy disks fine.

This software can be used for other media. As long as windows sees the device.

This may work in your case but I can only comment of the use of floppy disk recovery.

Phil
N/A

i can drop u some system repair tools / data recovery apps if you need them drop me a pm for where to send
N/A

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ is well worth trying. It comes with a bunch of hard-drive testing utilities, amongst other things.
Patch
Grafter

Thanks for the comments, but so far no luck.

I have not been able to access the disk at all. In order to boot the computer I have to disconnect the faulty drive. Then it all works fine.

I have used the data life guard diagnostic utility from Western Digital, which tells me there is a SMART error, Error number 0159. I discussed this with their helpline, and they tell me this means the Disk has failed, and so they are sending a replacement.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Patch