Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD (+) or (-)

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

DVD (+) or (-)

Ok, maybe a daft question but can anyone explain the difference between dvd (+) and (-), does it matter which i use?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Topic moved to a more apt forum.
11 REPLIES
N/A

DVD (+) or (-)

Use -.
It is supported a lot more by DVD players and Writers
N/A

DVD (+) or (-)

the + and - are different standards of storing the data on the disk, its a supid idiotic thing that companies have argued over for the last 8ish years, basicaly "-" is used on retail disks and so home DVD players etc use it, where as + is used mainly for data storage such as backups. however they are basicaly identical other than the fact some drives will not play the other standard. so my advice would be to get a drive that supports both, and you will not have an issue. but your self one + and one - and burn a film onto it, see which your home dvd drive will play and then just use them.
Community Veteran

DVD (+) or (-)

It gets even worse with the fact that some DVD writers don't like the type of dye used in the construction of the disc by some makers.
I have two boxes of -R DVDs and only one of them will work in the writer. I contacted the manufacturer of the writer (A-Open) and was given the information about there being different brands of dye.

So as stated above find what is the most useful to you + or - and stick to that, also find a brand name that works and stick with that as well.
Alecto
Grafter

DVD (+) or (-)

There's lots of good stuff relating to dyes in this thread where I asked a related question about which brand to use.
It's fascinating stuff, and there's a link to a page explaining all about dyes used, how to find out which one you've got and which are any good (at time of printing, of course).
N/A

DVD (+) or (-)

ps : svp.co.uk is a great place to get the disks Smiley *plug*
Alecto
Grafter

DVD (+) or (-)

If you want to choose the dye on your disks, you are limited in where you can go.

svp used citylink for delivery of mine and they pulverised the spindle container, presumably by jumping on it. and svp are expensive for delivery.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

DVD (+) or (-)

Thanks for the replies guys. I ask because i am looking to purchase a dvd recorder. How do i find out if the dvd writer installed in my pc writes using a (+) or (-) ?
i would think it sensible for me to purchase a recorder that uses the same media as my pc writer.
Alecto
Grafter

DVD (+) or (-)

Do a google on its model number to find what it can do. They can usually do + and -, R and RW.
I'd buy a DVD recorder (I assume you mean for TV use) that can deal with +R. -R, +RW and -RW at least, then you won't have to worry about which type of media and it won't limit your options in future.
You'll probably find that most of them do these four and more.
N/A

DVD (+) or (-)

SVP recommend the Pioneer DVR-110 (whch is also DVD-RAM compatible), but aren't the cheapest.

You can buy the drive in OEM form (i.e. you'll need your own screws and software) from cocc for about £34 inc p&p, or buy it Retail from dabs for about £40 inc p&p.

I use the Pioneer DVR-109 which I find very reliable.
N/A

DVD (+) or (-)

This burning lark is ANNOYING me, I've tried + and - discs yet whatever I burn, I can view on my nicencheap DVD player upstairs, yet take it down to my SD-63HK and its NO GO. Using Bulkpaq DVD-Rs at the moment.

A real pain, especially since I managed to source a recording of Pump Up The Volume (channel 4 documentary on the history of house music, absolutely wonderful and shamefully, never comercially released) ... and I want to watch it on a BIG TV.
N/A

DVD (+) or (-)

Have you tired using discs that are labled DVD Version 2.0 our DVD Recorder downstairs only records to V2.0 discs might be that :S