cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD Writers

N/A

DVD Writers

I've been looking to buy a dvd writer for a while [to backup important files] but have never found anything for under £200. Now I find this : £82 [inc. vat] and it supports the majority of the dvd-protocols. Plus, it's panasonic, so at least it has some build quality. Bargain?

Link fixed : Missed off the '1' on the end Smiley

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

DVD Writers

You've posted the wrong URL, seems to be a TV capture card.

Make sure the DVD Writer you buy includes whatever software you need as it might be difficult to find anything suitable on the internet seeing as they are relativly new. Maybe the price is exludes this?

The prices have generally fallen alot though lately so it's probably fine.

Chris
N/A

DVD Writers

Less than half price, so yes bargain.
Only runs at half the speed (2xdvd/r,1xdvd/rw) of latest models,
so not a huge bargain.
Check that it supports the latest high speed disks (probably with a firmware
update) before you buy Cool
N/A

DVD Writers

Ah thanks, I'll take all these things into consideration.

Bundled Software
Awaiting Update

Hmmmm
N/A

DVD Writers

Also I note that it's a -R/-RW writer.

I have a Ricoh +R/+RW, I think it's emerging as the more dominant of the two. There are a number of drives that do all varieties of DVD, but not at this price.

Check your domestic DVD player is compatible with your chosen format at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers
N/A

DVD Writers

For ~ £140, you can get a Pioneer DVR-106 DVD combo writer(+R/RW and -R/RW), which is what I have. Excellent burner, in my opinion. Never have had any problems with it - I have tried many different media manufacturers and have yet to produce a coaster. Writes at the top speed of today's DVD writers (2x for -RW, 2.4x +RW, 4x for +R/-R). £30 extra will get you the retail version (DVR-A06) which is essentially the same drive bundled with the latest versions of Ulead DVD MovieFactory and Nero Burning ROM.
N/A

DVD Writers

Yeah, that's one thing which confuses me, the different formats. There's so many, and some dvd players aren't compatible with this and that, etc.